Uber stripped of its licence to operate in London

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I've just used Uber to get from North Manchester to my office in Manchester, fantastic service. Clean car, pleasant driver, reasonable price, short wait for driver to arrive, and he suggested an alternative route (which I knew) to avoid a queue. What's to complain about?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
reading the article in the link, I think its more the business model they use and lack of reporting of crimes that's the issue, not the decent drivers. as always, it takes a few rotten apples to ruin a whole barrel

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
I've not read The Metro before. Probably won't again(I'm not sure I'd wipe my bum with it), but thank you for affording me this glimpse into the fascinating world of free "newspapers".

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I have used Uber in London, yes they were quick to arrive, but the drivers I had little Knowledge of London and asked me to enter the post code on their sat navs?? I'm sticking with Black Cabs, friendly, knowledgeable and supporting a British Icon.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I've not read The Metro before. Probably won't again(I'm not sure I'd wipe my bum with it), but thank you for affording me this glimpse into the fascinating world of free "newspapers".

The same details are being reported on the BBC news website too.

Something wrong with free newspapers?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Provided its correct, news is news whatever the source.
Always enjoyed the Evening Standard when I get the chance to have a read.
Not so keen now traitor Osborne is Editor.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
The question is would you let your kids use Uber, or like me, prefer they used a black cab late at night in London?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Over the years Ive used Tube, busses, black cabs, private hire, but not Uber.

Uber came on the scene when I realised most of the places I go to in Londinium on business are better walked to from Waterloo. Have often thought of a Boris bike. Walking is surprisingly good for you and often quicker than public transport. Plus you can walk for miles in the wrong direction when using the tube to go a couple of stops.

In days of yore when on the razz in town, a black cab was wary of drunken yoofs likely to puke, unlike the car with a driver that would take you anywhere for a few bob. Snakebite and blackcurrant was particularly difficult to remove from seats and carpets, especially when added to vomit :eek::eek:

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
I live near the Uber carpark near Gatwick, where they all wait for Gatwick jobs. Frankly after watching their behaviour and seeing the state they leave the public areas of that car park I would never use them.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I've never used Uber, but the perceived lack of accountability does put me off.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Drivers that cant speak english, drive along head buried in satnav, ( thats if they k ow how to use it). Driving down one way streets the wrong way, driving up or down steps in pedestrian areas, going the wrong way on slip roads to motorways and dual carriage ways, incorrect insurance for the job in hand. Accidents wherever they go galore. Rapes, murder and sexual assaults on female passengers cars being driven by members of their family and friends who are not licensed or insured.
Yes its all true its not scare mongering freedom of information confirms all this.
Black cabs and proper private hire vehicles are easily checked via their licence plate, reg no and driver and owners id.
I would never advise any females especially lone females.
Most blokes could tackle a dodgy driver if need to s
So maybe not so bad.
Uber has access to your bank account only and will seriously enhance the fare in times of trouble and strikes and you wont know about untill you check your bank statement.
Bkack cabs and proper private hire vehicles onky need the cash whats in your pocket to pay the metered fare or agreed price if in a PH vehicle or a simple card transaction to pay the fare agreed or metered which you will be given a receipt there and then.
I'm a recently retired black cab driver of 44 years with no accidents or incidents so know what Im talking about.

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
According to the Radio 4 program "More or Less", there is precisely no evidence that using Uber is any more dangerous than black cabs or minicabs. It may be that their business practices aren't up to scratch, I have no knowledge of that, but I suspect the cozy black cab fraternity would welcome any chance to sling mud. I've nothing against black cab drivers, other than they are ridiculously expensive (and some seem to believe they are immune from the rules of the road), but why the hell didn't they come up with an app? They seem to be stuck in the 19th century.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The question is would you let your kids use Uber, or like me, prefer they used a black cab late at night in London?
I’d prefer they avoided the place like the plague...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom