Update on my Saga: repairing the alarm system

shafi

Reaction score
You may want to know what happen since I told you my saga. But let me first repeat the saga for people who have not read it.

I gave my E220 M-reg to a local Merc dealer to repair the alarm system. The infra-red didn't respond to the door unlocking system, and the key did not turn in the ignition system to turn to engine on. However the alarm was activated when I entered the car from passenger side by manually unlocking the car from the passenger door.

The car was with them for 3 months. They replaced the key, and then replaced the whole alarm system and charged us £1400 pound. However, later after settling the payment when we tried the key to unlock the car remotely it didn't work. We had to enter the car from the passenger door. Strangely no intruder alarm activated this time. We can easily turn the engine on. Even with the un-coded key. I suspect that they have simply discounted the alarm control box and the immobiliser.

When approached they revealed (which was kept secret until we paid our bill) the that is all the can do with the car. I am totally shocked with the level of service.

Following the advice of senior forum members, we launched a formal complaint and demanded refund. They replyed that the wiring diagram supplied by the Mercedes-Benz did not match our car's wiring. If we want they can search for different wiring diagram and will try to repair the car which would cost estimated £3000 extra. We told them that due to misrepresentation if they do not refund the money we may have to report to the local trading standards. They refused.

We now have approached the local trading standards. Upon assessing our case they are will to act. I asked the dealer to supply me with the diagram they used to repair the car, returned our original parts, give the details about the qualification of the technician involved , and the date when they received the diagram. We are thinking of employing an independent expert which may be required by Court. They refused to supply any information.

If you know any able independent electrical technician in Nottingham area please let us know.

Best wishes,

Shafi

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry to hear this tale, very sad. All MB wiring diagrams they have on their WIS program just for the VIN number of your car, all dealers have it, and I have it
So a few untruths there.

Some one else will advise you

OP
S

shafi

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm,

What's WIS program? If I get an independent expert will the expert need to get the diagram from the MB dealer or it is accessible to public.

By the way your advice on using digital camera to check the IR bothered them because until then they were telling me that they are checking the control unit. After your posting I went to the dealer and checked the key with a digital camera and found no beam. Told them that they should check the key before the checking the wiring and the control unit. This was one week after I gave the car to them.

Best wishes,

Shafi

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
have you spoken to MB Customer services? Not sure how much help they'd be but I do know MBUK is really trying to up the standards of the dealers so I'd have expected them to be interested in something so serious.
It would be nice to see your dealer clobbered for this but at the end of teh day, you want your money back and MBUK may be able to apply pressure. Worth a call anyway.
Te other thing is that I don't really get this. OK people can be daft and dealers can be notorious but they've completely done you over which is odd, even for a dealer. I can't help thinking there is some forms of communication breakdown going on as this isn't in their interests any more than yours.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Jberks excelent advice do think about that, it could be worth it.

WIS is the standard workshop information system that all MB dealers have on site You do not need refference from it as it is the same the world over

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
WIS will not have wiring diagrams of the alarm system for a 124. It will be in book form

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
You may want to know what happen since I told you my saga. But let me first repeat the saga for people who have not read it.

I gave my E220 M-reg to a local Merc dealer to repair the alarm system. The infra-red didn't respond to the door unlocking system, and the key did not turn in the ignition system to turn to engine on. However the alarm was activated when I entered the car from passenger side by manually unlocking the car from the passenger door.

The car was with them for 3 months. They replaced the key, and then replaced the whole alarm system and charged us £1400 pound. However, later after settling the payment when we tried the key to unlock the car remotely it didn't work. We had to enter the car from the passenger door. Strangely no intruder alarm activated this time. We can easily turn the engine on. Even with the un-coded key. I suspect that they have simply discounted the alarm control box and the immobiliser.

When approached they revealed (which was kept secret until we paid our bill) the that is all the can do with the car. I am totally shocked with the level of service.

Following the advice of senior forum members, we launched a formal complaint and demanded refund. They replyed that the wiring diagram supplied by the Mercedes-Benz did not match our car's wiring. If we want they can search for different wiring diagram and will try to repair the car which would cost estimated £3000 extra. We told them that due to misrepresentation if they do not refund the money we may have to report to the local trading standards. They refused.

We now have approached the local trading standards. Upon assessing our case they are will to act. I asked the dealer to supply me with the diagram they used to repair the car, returned our original parts, give the details about the qualification of the technician involved , and the date when they received the diagram. We are thinking of employing an independent expert which may be required by Court. They refused to supply any information.

If you know any able independent electrical technician in Nottingham area please let us know.

Best wishes,

Shafi

What a dreadful situation, I've been in the motor industy for 37 years and sadly from time to time I hear of stories like this. They had the car for three months - how did they justify that amount of time, did they keep you informed of the progress, did they get approval from you to fit a complete alarm system? Surely they would have tested the system before releasing the car back to you.

Take jberks advise and speak to MB customer services, if you don't get any satisfaction there then maybe take legal advise, I'm not legally qualified, but surely you have a strong case to argue.

Have you considered taking your case through the small claims court, I think the upper limit is £5000.00?

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom