Updating Comand Online NTG4.5 from v5 (A207)

Silvercat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Cabriolet 2012
Hi tech-heads,
I've just checked the map version on my car is V5 2012, and looks like it hasn't been updated since new. My questions are:

1. Is this sufficient grounds to ask the local dealer to do a free update, even tho it's outside the 3 year free update?

2. Can I buy the latest DVD for 2016 and run it, or does it need a firmware upgrade first?

Once again grateful for any help and advice.

Chris

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi tech-heads,
I've just checked the map version on my car is V5 2012, and looks like it hasn't been updated since new. My questions are:

1. Is this sufficient grounds to ask the local dealer to do a free update, even tho it's outside the 3 year free update?

2. Can I buy the latest DVD for 2016 and run it, or does it need a firmware upgrade first?

Chris

Good luck on the free update. Worth a try.

If new firmware is required, it will be on the update disc, or an accompanying disc, with clear instructions. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have a feeling that you are going to have to buy this one, but no harm in asking.

OP
S

Silvercat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Cabriolet 2012
Thanks I appreciate the replies. Can I just jump from v5 to whatever the current version is for ntg4.5?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the latest map usually loads OK, the only time when they do not is when an update required, but this is quite rare.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Did you buy the car used approved and recently? If so then you can ask the dealer to do the free update.

I bought my car in January and it still had the 2012 map. I pointed this out and the dealer updated it to the 2016 version.

If you can get the OASIS report for the car and it lists the 3yrs free map updates you could also try this angle if you didn't buy used approved. The car has never had a map update as it should have done. If the dealer won't play ball you could then try MBUK.

Not sure how successful you would be though.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi tech-heads,

Chris

Some inaccurate information around i'm afraid.

The car is a 2012 W212 with NTg 4.5.

1). Firmware updates are NOT on the map disks. They are applied separately via Xentry online to MB Germany requesting which service update disk to load. This isnt an end user process. It must be done by someone with genuine Xentry.

2). The maps are NTg 4.5 so you need a map disk set and an activation PIN code.

3). The firmware can take anything upto two hours to load (if needed). All depends on what is on the fibre bus with the Comand.

4). Maps take about two hours aswell.

5). The maps wont even start to load if an update is required first.

OP
S

Silvercat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Cabriolet 2012
Thanks all for your help. I spoke to my local MB dealer today and they have offered to update the Comand System and maps for £143 including a courtesy car for the day. I thought that seemed reasonable.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Thanks all for your help. I spoke to my local MB dealer today and they have offered to update the Comand System and maps for £143 including a courtesy car for the day. I thought that seemed reasonable.

Thats an excellent deal. Well done.

Top Bottom