Urgent Help ...Main Dealer says 3 sensors have gone, and due to a part change all 4 need replacing

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Beats me why you don't just have the earthing point remade - either by yourself or by any competent person. We're not talking rocket science, and as you strongly suspect a bad earth it's a no brainer.

Or am I missing something?

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I seem to recall a wiz/tips document that states the front sensors should be replaced as a pair on a 221.

That's correct - my front right sensor went last year and they had to change both at the front.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If this is a non service item use an independent. I use MB only for official servicing. If anything else I use my Indy.

Many years ago I needed the door handle replacing where the first aid kit goes on the w220. I went to MB to order the part. The part was 26 pounds. The chap came out and said we took the courtesy to price up installation - 290 pounds. He explained they needed to take the seat out to fit it. Straight away I though what bull as I am very handy.
I got home and fitted it myself in a huge 2 mins.
Moral of the story MB try it on massively to fool customers. They think coz we drive a MB money grows on trees.

Hi
I always get an Indy to do non std. work, even to the point of changing time related fluids . Eg like change brake fluid , abc flid , rear diff oil , replace abc struts and service the gearbox.

In this case I was trapped. The one time the fault showed on the last of 3 breakdown calls ... the good mobilo guy reckoned it just required re doing a rusty earth point. As the controller went 100% off line he had legally to advise me not to drive it.
Plus as the battery underwarranty battery was knacked only an MB dealer can swap that.

I just got very unlucky that my normally and unusually great dealer have a new non technical service manager! So how he presented it to me seemed completely illogical
But i think its in hand.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Update
Spoke to their top technical Manager and I trust him.
He got them to redo the earth point, sadly it didnt solve the issue.
He then got them to bring him one of the front wss, actually the one reported doing 160mph in the driveway.
And its completely dead. He got them to change that one, and STAR reported that one is now perfect as is the controller and obviously that reluctor ring.
Sadly the figures from the other 2 suspect ones look awful. And even the fourth is very very marginal.
But He's going to look at them individually.

Interesting he confirmed that MB have now directed that if you have a dead wss its recommended to change them all, unless it breaks within a low mileage, and as a minimum the other one on the same axle.

Sadly he feels the numers indicate that rears are both shot too. But reserves judgement till they are off the car?

The bugger is the part alone is £109 Each ! ... CL pricing!
less my 10%. :(
Apparrently some cars onLy cost £55.

Hes going to try and get MB to replace the battery.

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
What's your VIN.
Could check on EPC.
Message if you don't wish to display your VIN on here.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
What's your VIN.
Could check on EPC.
Message if you don't wish to display your VIN on here.

Thanks so much but I have found out you definitely do have to change both on the same axle, and I have 3 defective ones :(
And the fourth is marginal
So an expensive weekend as they are £109 each.

I am still amazed how 3 go at the same time. But when they get the other 2 parts in they will at least check them individually.
But with all 5 star reports failing them (by 2 different sources) plus my MBII fails them ... one just has to believe in bad luck!

Real shock as the mobilo guy was sure it was the controller earth ... but thats been double checked.

So this year I am at break even with the cost of warranty , and 4 months to go :-/
Last year I saved the cost of warranty :)

Hey welcome to S Class Land!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Beats me why you don't just have the earthing point remade - either by yourself or by any competent person. We're not talking rocket science, and as you strongly suspect a bad earth it's a no brainer.

Or am I missing something?

They have remade the earth point, and double checked it, but Star still reports 3 sensors down and dash messages
One sensor has been manually check ... dead.
They will check the others when the parts arrive .. but technically MB say all must be replaced.
And even the fourth is marginal ... and did fail on the MBII three times.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
They have remade the earth point, and double checked it, but Star still reports 3 sensors down and dash messages
One sensor has been manually check ... dead.
They will check the others when the parts arrive .. but technically MB say all must be replaced.
And even the fourth is marginal ... and did fail on the MBII three times.

Kinda makes me wonder, when I cleaned them with contact cleaner .. did I wreck 2 more.
Cant see that myself as nothing changed.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
at 109 each fit 4 and be done with it...

each time you unlock one of these is a 5k gamble if it'll start or needs to go to the tip

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

each time you unlock one of these is a 5k gamble if it'll start or needs to go to the tip

I have 4 on their way for mine. It warns randomly but never stops the car driving. I have noticed that it flashes the ESP triangle on hard acceleration even when the rear wheels are not losing traction.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Yep have authorised it.
Sick of it TBH works - doesn't work - works
At least they say if it doesnt cure it I dont have to pay for it.
So not taking the chance on £440 of parts.

Just seriously ****ed off, if the Mobilo guy wasnt so adamant it was the earth it would have definitely gone to an Indy!

Call me stupid but 3 failing at the same time!
But then my neighbour said in March he had one go, and they warned him the other one was marginal.
It was fixed for 2 weeks and the other went! And thats Audi 7
Similar kinda horrible money.

Oh well parts are in on Monday lets hope thats the end of it.

John has the right idea, get a two year old with Tier one .. and just drive it!
As soon as we have moved with a decent garage ... I am going that route but with a low mileage 4 year old. ( cant afford a two year old)

IMO They just are not built to last more than 5 years imo. Whereas it was a mileage thing, it now seems to be just as much time orientated.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Thought the earth thing was a waste of time, if it was that tight, it would have a good contact.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I have 4 on their way for mine. It warns randomly but never stops the car driving. I have noticed that it flashes the ESP triangle on hard acceleration even when the rear wheels are not losing traction.

yes but that's normal on mine.... let alone a v12 with the turbos wound up

any modern bike cuts back the power when there is NO loss or even close to thinking about it, makes them awful to drive - the pedal or the twist grip have been there a 100 years to control what the driven wheel does.... why in dry tarmac in a straight line do we need a computer to say game over...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
yes but that's normal on mine.... let alone a v12 with the turbos wound up

any modern bike cuts back the power when there is NO loss or even close to thinking about it, makes them awful to drive - the pedal or the twist grip have been there a 100 years to control what the driven wheel does.... why in dry tarmac in a straight line do we need a computer to say game over...

It did not do it before the ABS sensors where playing up though. The C class is pretty good at not doing it either. I have had old buses with dodgy reluctor rings do it quite a bit with false wheelspin

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Interested to hear if they cure your issue Alex.
Like you I apparently have 3 defective? ones;

My logic somehow doesn't phathom all 3 failing at once. Probability doesnt compute .. !
I can accept one fails and you change it and in no time another goes, and then followed shortly by another .. i.e. they have all degraded over time.

I would have felt better, if it was the esp controller, and one ends up with a shiny, new, highly-complex module that will give another 8 years of good service. But just replacing 4 plastic coated coils and a meter of wire and a connector! Doesnt somehow seem like VFM ;)

Oh well I just have to accept it! And move on.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom