Urgently want to know how to turn off stop start ... on this hideous GLC 220d 4 Matic

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
The problem is that anyone who is mostly driving in conditions where the stop-start is kicking in 20x in a very short space of time probably should be finding another means of transport like walking, cycling or public transport.

Anyone who would only have start-stop kick in once or twice at the few traffic lights or the occasional traffic jam will not see any meaningful reduction in overall average fuel consumption so it is pointless.

I suppose the start-stop engine would make sense for taxi drivers if the Prius hadn't been invented 20 years ago which gives much more efficiency in town along with proper longevity and reliability.
So if you live in central london and regularly drive to a small town in Hampshire you should walk or cycle? Seems a bizarre sweeping statement to me!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Hmm on this one, as soon as you touched the brakes the engine cut out.
So you would be back to where you started.
:):)

Once I founf the switch, ( Europcar remove the manuals! And forget to tell you there is an electronic manual in Comand! ) that solved everything. Bit of a pain remembering to turn it off.
Worked fine .. no rolling back.

No fear of buying one, when one sees the kind of gorgeous 2nd hand SL or CL one could buy for £42 K.
Problem is Submariner1 those £42k cars also have stop/start fitted. Mind you if you fit Smartop to the SL you can change the default to off

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Just remember that Auto Start/ Stop is demanded by the ENVIROWARRIORS. So if you want real cars, start working to reduce oil prices and shouting down the enviros!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I seem to be the only one that does not mind stop/start. Its worth a 15% economy gain in city driving which is nothing to sneeze at. Granted the engine/gearbox/electronics/supporting stuff has to be up to scratch to allow it to be reliable but why not.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
But it’s not 15% in real life... and the 15% saving on fuel doesn’t come close to the cost of replacing a timing chain ;)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i doubt that a 4 lt engine properly built can be overstressed in normal use, however if they build it with rubber timing chains and play dough timing gears it might not last as long as its distant quality well built aged cousin from the same stable..... my 17 yr old clk has served me very well and has cost me very little, so much less tech , cant see the much,much prettier sl r230 doing likewise, its just far too complex . which is a real shame as its the best looking car in its class, my opinion..

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
So if you live in central london and regularly drive to a small town in Hampshire you should walk or cycle? Seems a bizarre sweeping statement to me!

If you lived in central London and used the car mainly to go to that small town in Hampshire then the majority of your miles wouldn't be doing all the start-stopping, so you'd fall into the second category and you wouldn't save that much fuel/emissions. Don't get me wrong I've always lived in cities and always had a car, I just haven't used the car to drive around cities when public transport/walking/cycling is there and quicker, cheaper and healthier and much more enjoyable.

There will always be some exception that people will jump on when it is needed hence I'm not calling for a ban or naything but the fact is that cars in cities are mostly not a great idea, for the driver, residents, environment, community, etc. If they cared about it I wish they'd actually do something about that instead of making all new cars "appear" greener with extra technology and then let them all sit there stopping and starting for hours on end wasting so much productivity/time/petrol for everyone.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
The Porsche High Speed driving course also condemed that practice.
Cant remember why ... and I didn't personally see the problem in using a left boot.
Just did what I was told. :)
Boy could that guy drive a 911 ... :)

two points

1) cops hate anything that shows you can already drive (they complain about bikers covering the brake lever (idiots))
2) I thought was only one thing for advanced porsche driving was if you lift both gear change paddles at the same time (any gear and speed) u lift the clutch - thus one can give it a blip or 3 to get the turbo's spun up, plant the throttle and then drop the paddles for a bit of lively power delivery

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
If you lived in central London and used the car mainly to go to that small town in Hampshire then the majority of your miles wouldn't be doing all the start-stopping, so you'd fall into the second category and you wouldn't save that much fuel/emissions. Don't get me wrong I've always lived in cities and always had a car, I just haven't used the car to drive around cities when public transport/walking/cycling is there and quicker, cheaper and healthier and much more enjoyable.

There will always be some exception that people will jump on when it is needed hence I'm not calling for a ban or naything but the fact is that cars in cities are mostly not a great idea, for the driver, residents, environment, community, etc. If they cared about it I wish they'd actually do something about that instead of making all new cars "appear" greener with extra technology and then let them all sit there stopping and starting for hours on end wasting so much productivity/time/petrol for everyone.
I will be taking my V8 to the City tomorrow, public transport no use as I will be collecting a large number of Ipads, chargers etc so too heavy to carry to the Station. I am congestion charge exempt and have free parking, however if I leave it on I know my stop start will kick in over 20x.

Sorry but that journey will fall into category 1 and is a typical practical example. No matter how hard you may try to generalise you simply can't and the stop/start is simply another way the "green brigade" are out of touch with reality in my opinion. The only green step I can see may work in the future is electric vehicles once range and regeneration is improved reducing the charge requirements.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I will be taking my V8 to the City tomorrow, public transport no use as I will be collecting a large number of Ipads, chargers etc so too heavy to carry to the Station. I am congestion charge exempt and have free parking, however if I leave it on I know my stop start will kick in over 20x.

Sorry but that journey will fall into category 1 and is a typical practical example. No matter how hard you may try to generalise you simply can't and the stop/start is simply another way the "green brigade" are out of touch with reality in my opinion. The only green step I can see may work in the future is electric vehicles once range and regeneration is improved reducing the charge requirements.

There's always an exception, yes of course I have driven in cities to deliver/pick things up as you should be able to too. That doesn't mean that many journeys in cities for 2 miles for example to drop the kids off to school are necessary. Getting rid of those journeys would mean almost all emissions go, reclaimable road space for pedestrians/parks and no congestion when you do have to pick up some ipads and people would be less obese. It would do a lot more than gimmicks like start stop technology.

I'm lucky to have spent my last 7 years in 2 cities where cycle lanes are everywhere (and proper seperated from road type stuff), a journey anywhere within the city on any form of public transport is 1€ and the "boris bikes" are free to use for a subscription of 20€ a year. There's also not this health and safety culture of "your kids are going to die if they don't get driven directly to the gate in a big 4x4" so the kids walk to school.

In one city, Barcelona, the lack of traffic and generally good quality of life hasn't been enough so they've now put some huge low emission zone over the whole urban area to ban older diesels. It hasn't made much difference other than penalising the poor and getting people to buy new cars they can't afford. In the other, Valencia where I luckily live now they've created 4 main "axis roads" which are vital and have traffic lights that are coordinated and stay red/green for a very long time so you stop once and drive 2miles without having to stop again, and you do that 3 times in total to get through the city. Then they've started a campaign of reclaiming road space and parking from all other roads off this and bit by bit putting trees/cycle lanes/pedestrian only zones and reducing the car carrying lanes. It seems to work as in people can get around to the main motorways on the axis points but noone considers taking their car for journeys within the city. It's also just really nice to walk around any time of day where there is no traffic (except the axis roads).

So the problem can be solved without LEZ and the rest and mainly to impriove quality of life. FWIW I'm not concerned about emissions - I drive a 1987 3.0 diesel with no catalyst; but I don't drive it around the city because I can't be bothered to walk/cycle for 10 minutes because that would be detrimental to mine (and others) quality of life

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom