Using ATF as a cleaning additive

k langdon

Reaction score
I think I remember seeing somewhere (though I can't find it again) a posting where a member said he'd added some ATF to his fuel tank to help clean the injectors, etc

I was wondering whether this is the case and would it be good practice. I found some Dextron III in the garage (it is quite old though) and didn't know whether adding this when I next fill up with diesel would be a good idea or not.

Cheers,

Kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think I remember seeing somewhere (though I can't find it again) a posting where a member said he'd added some ATF to his fuel tank to help clean the injectors, etc

I was wondering whether this is the case and would it be good practice. I found some Dextron III in the garage (it is quite old though) and didn't know whether adding this when I next fill up with diesel would be a good idea or not.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin as far as I know diesel is quite a good cleaner in itself. I have not heard of ATF being a cleaning agent.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I dont think thats something I would want to try, a tank full of shell optimax does the trick I find, but at £95 a fill up it doesnt last long.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I dont think thats something I would want to try, a tank full of shell optimax does the trick I find, but at £95 a fill up it doesnt last long.

jib

Yes it will soon be equal to the cost of MB ATF

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
I have used ATF in both the engine oil before a service and used some in the fuel too. In the engine it certainly cleans it out, however the jury is still out on the fuel issue.

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi

jib

Forgive me if I'm wrong,but isn't optimax petrol?
If this goes in the tank the only thing it will clean out is his wallet!:confused:

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
I can't see it doing much harm, its oil-based after all.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I bought a farm, there was a full diesel tank on site, I used it for de greasing engines, it worked well.

dava

Reaction score
I was once on a Renault training course and they told us if customers complain of poor performance add a ltr of oil to the tank, this increases the compression ratio. I did try it and it did seem to improve the performance, so there you go.

C240yaz

Reaction score
West Scotland, not far from Mull of Kintyre
As a fully time served diesel mechanic, I would never let ATF anywhere near the injection pump, never mind the injectors. It's viscosity is thicker for a start and the risk of wear and damage inside the pump, where fine tolerances are critical, are a high possibilty.

Too risky.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I was once on a Renault training course and they told us if customers complain of poor performance add a ltr of oil to the tank, this increases the compression ratio. I did try it and it did seem to improve the performance, so there you go.
This is very true on petrol engines (IC) internal combustion, but with (CI) engines, combustion Ignition works on very high compression ratios and this may be a little riskey to say the least.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Be very wary of adding oil to fuel if you have a cat convertor, the slightest amount of oil in the exhaust wil kill it dead and cost a bomb at MOT time.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom