Using Gliptone cleaner and conditioner

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
The Gliptone I ordered has arrived so the plan is to apply the cleaner and conditioner this weekend.

Seats look pretty clean overall but as I don't know when they were last cleaned and conditioned I thought I'd do it myself. Couple of scuffs on the drivers side bolster but nothing major.

Quick question on applying the conditioner - is there a recommended time to leave the seats once its been applied before sitting on them? Or, is it a case of apply, rub in and just use straightway?

Thanks

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I normally leave it half an hour with windows open to disperse the smell a bit first.

You'll be astonished how much cack comes off your leather!!! I was. Especially the steering wheel <boik>

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I normally leave it half an hour with windows open to disperse the smell a bit first.

You'll be astonished how much cack comes off your leather!!! I was. Especially the steering wheel <boik>

Thanks. Hadn't thought of doing the steering wheel. Was thinking of just the seats as I thought the rest of the interior wasn't real leather (apart from the wheel)?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks. Hadn't thought of doing the steering wheel. Was thinking of just the seats as I thought the rest of the interior wasn't real leather (apart from the wheel)?

The cleaner will still shift the cack. Remember it's just human grease and dirt, so doesn't really matter what surface it sits on whether leather or Artico. The cleaner will still shift it. Use the nail brush provided. I bet you'll see it come away black the first time. Then you'll clean it again... I ended up doing the steering wheel of my A3 about five times the first time I used Gliptone!

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
No nail brush provided with mine, but I did get a couple of applicators and micro cloths. Will have to go and find a nail brush now - am sure I have one, but it might be too stiff for this purpose.

Re things like Artico - one I've used the Gliptone cleaner on it, do I then need to seal it some way or just clean it and wipe clean with a damp cloth and let it dry?

Cheers

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No nail brush provided with mine, but I did get a couple of applicators and micro cloths. Will have to go and find a nail brush now - am sure I have one, but it might be too stiff for this purpose.

Re things like Artico - one I've used the Gliptone cleaner on it, do I then need to seal it some way or just clean it and wipe clean with a damp cloth and let it dry?

Cheers

The cleaner is just very mild detergent so it won't strip anything

Whenever I've bought Gliptone it always comes with a big standard nail brush. That doesn't damage leather.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

I regularly use wet wipes on mine just to keep it clean

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
All done. Left the roof down for 20 mins after finishing and this morning I just had the smell of leather - not overpowering but there nonetheless.

Found I had to wipe the seats quite a few times to get the cleaner off as didn't want to leave it on there and put the conditioner on top of it.

Wiped down the dash and the rear and the roof sections that are visible when the roof is down and it all looks lovely and clean.

Quite pleased overall.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All done. Left the roof down for 20 mins after finishing and this morning I just had the smell of leather - not overpowering but there nonetheless.

Found I had to wipe the seats quite a few times to get the cleaner off as didn't want to leave it on there and put the conditioner on top of it.

Wiped down the dash and the rear and the roof sections that are visible when the roof is down and it all looks lovely and clean.

Quite pleased overall.

Did you "recover" much ermmm DNA? :D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom