Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Both inlet manifold swirl flaps should be able to move very easily. If they are stiff, then thats the issue with your engine, likely its burnt out the motor. You may have to remove the manifolds (about 3 hours straight work but fairly easy) and see if you can free them off my cleaning and lubricating them. If that doesnt work then you will have to replace the manifolds and they arent cheap.

agapemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ML320
Both inlet manifold swirl flaps should be able to move very easily. If they are stiff, then thats the issue with your engine, likely its burnt out the motor. You may have to remove the manifolds (about 3 hours straight work but fairly easy) and see if you can free them off my cleaning and lubricating them. If that doesnt work then you will have to replace the manifolds and they arent cheap.

Yes, I ended up removing the manifolds and one of the flaps on the passenger side was completely seized from all the build-ups. I soaked them in the degreaser + water for a day and now they move freely. Thank you very much.

Are there any diagrams that would help me putting them back. I removed so many bolts in many different sizes to get intake manifolds out and I kinda lost in track now... :confused:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Yes, I ended up removing the manifolds and one of the flaps on the passenger side was completely seized from all the build-ups. I soaked them in the degreaser + water for a day and now they move freely. Thank you very much.

Are there any diagrams that would help me putting them back. I removed so many bolts in many different sizes to get intake manifolds out and I kinda lost in track now... :confused:

School boy error!

I know it doesnt help this time but maybe a tip for others, get a piece of card board, draw the component roughly outlined and pierce the fixing through the cardboard. especially handy if some things are different lengths, you can draw the location holes etc.

agapemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ML320
I finally in the process of putting everything together and I came across this one plug that I have no idea where it goes...Can anybody help me out?

SA1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI/2006/3L
Can anyone help - I cannot remove exhaust star bolts?

Thanks to M80 for information on V6 CDI Inlet Port Shut Off Motor Replacement. I am following his great information which he posted in 2011, and I am on the Part 2 stage which begins ..

...'Remove the EGR exhaust flexi feed pipe. Some caution there are 2 gaskets that might want to fall.
Protect the manifold hole with masking tape.
4 bolts total, 2 long ones into the head,
image (f).

It’s possible at re-assembly to pass the bolts through to the gaskets to hold the gaskets in place while the flexi pipe is re-installed,
image (c).

Remove bolts from exhaust into turbo manifold, be aware of the 2 gaskets that may fall,
2x3 bolts, 6 bolts total, image (g) & image (c)'...

The problem is removing the 6 star exhaust bolts, they seem to be 9mm and 10mm ones and I can't get them off. They seem to turn a little but I am worried that the heads are rounding as opposed to turning them. I am stuck not knowing what my next step should be. I have tried spraying on releasing fluid but that doesn't seem to work, and using 6 sided hexagonal socket set (think they are called impact) - anyone able to help?

SA1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI/2006/3L
Star Exhaust bolts - I can't get them off - can anyone help?

Thanks to M80 for information on V6 CDI Inlet Port Shut Off Motor Replacement. I am following his great information which he posted in 2011, and I am on the Part 2 stage which begins ..

...'Remove the EGR exhaust flexi feed pipe. Some caution there are 2 gaskets that might want to fall.
Protect the manifold hole with masking tape.
4 bolts total, 2 long ones into the head,
image (f).

It’s possible at re-assembly to pass the bolts through to the gaskets to hold the gaskets in place while the flexi pipe is re-installed,
image (c).

Remove bolts from exhaust into turbo manifold, be aware of the 2 gaskets that may fall,
2x3 bolts, 6 bolts total, image (g) & image (c)'...

The problem is removing the 6 star exhaust bolts, they seem to be 9mm and 10mm ones and I can't get them off. They seem to turn a little but I am worried that the heads are rounding as opposed to turning them. I am stuck not knowing what my next step should be. I have tried spraying on releasing fluid but that doesn't seem to work, and using 6 sided hexagonal socket set (think they are called impact) - anyone able to help?

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
SA1 you really need to get some Torx sockets. The star style (rather than hexagon) sockets can do the job, but aren't designed to. Use Torx and I hope you haven't rounded the heads too far already.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005

Your lucky I watched a lot of Blue Peter as a youngster, "heres one I made earlier" regards steve

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 111
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 103

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
second page

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 77

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and finally

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 88
  • ~dis-clive_may.jpg
    ~dis-clive_may.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 90
  • i19097.jpg
    i19097.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 75

SA1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI/2006/3L
SA1 you really need to get some Torx sockets. The star style (rather than hexagon) sockets can do the job, but aren't designed to. Use Torx and I hope you haven't rounded the heads too far already.
Thanks for the information M80; just ordered some long and short Torx sockets today. I will start again tomorrow when they arrive. I think the bolts are not too far gone - I have bought some long wobble bars to help me along with a 1/2" wrench as I figured exhaust bolts would be tricky - I am hoping using this and the Torx's with penetrating oil will be enough to release the bolts. I hope that I don't have to buy a blowtorch to release them as their seems very little room around that area anyway.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The exhaust heat can cause these bolts to become over tight with time. A bit late now but soaking in penetrating fluid and running the engine as usual for a day or two can help. A good soaking over night can't do any harm though. It's worth trying to crack the bolt by rocking clockwise / anticlockwise to free it.

SA1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI/2006/3L
Managed to remove the 6 torx bolts after getting a series of long and short torx sets - had to use my 1/2" wrench though.

Now attempting (and having great difficulty) with 'remove bolts clamping lower bracket to lower exhaust side of turbo exhaust intake manifold,
2 bolts, image (f)'

There doesn't seem to be much space to get my wrench in to do this bit, and also tried with 1/4" - I am wondering whether I need to remove the aluminium heat shield at the back of the engine bay, although it's pop riveted in a couple of places and i am worried about damaging it. How did you do this bit?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My memory may be faulty here but I believe a long extension bar with a uj on the lower end to crack the bolts. Faffing with socket rotation for angles I think. Not sure a long torx socket would get in there, mine are short.

SA1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI/2006/3L
W211 manifold

I managed to remove everything but also wanted to check linkages to swirl flaps so now manifold is removed (and cleaned) but noticed that when I started to cleaned the remaining part of the engine (the bit which the exhaust manifold has come from) that a couple of ports contain some water which must have occurred on removal of manifold. I thought to buy a suction pump to remove water - any ideas appreciated.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pela pumps are very useful for other things also, engine oil change being the most common. At 6L capacity it needs to be emptied mid way through the change.
I've used mine to change brake fluid.

gaz2621

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML280 2007
Hi everyone..
I am a new member to this Forum.
First of all my full respect goes out to Mr M80 for this well put together thread, I have a M55 to replace this week and full of confidence. Thanks also to everyone that has joined in and given there good advise, help to others and experience. Well done!..

Is there a vote and conclusion on weather or not to Remove Turbo?

Thanks.

Jay Cartay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 230 1999
I know this is an old thread but holy ****, I'm trying to do this on a Vito and it's impossible. I can only get a tiny 1/4" ratchet on the exhaust elbow to turbo bolts and then can't get enough purchase on it to actually undo them. It's driving me nuts!

Oonnzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 W251 OM642
I know this is an old thread but holy ****, I'm trying to do this on a Vito and it's impossible. I can only get a tiny 1/4" ratchet on the exhaust elbow to turbo bolts and then can't get enough purchase on it to actually undo them. It's driving me nuts!

im not sure how the Vito is setup but on my R class, I built a platform so I could sit on top of the engine to make it more comfortable. I also removed the windshield/wiper cowls and I also found after removing the pipe off the back of the turbo that a section of the firewall was removable giving more access/space to access the exhaust bolts.

Photo of my platform and the removed section of firewall is circled

CFA83216-5C52-4C5A-BDA7-F0CCBE5DFB8C.jpeg

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom