Van servicing

Andy_C

Reaction score
I guess that most of you guys are MB car owners, but I see one or two van owners here too so I hope you won't mind another one :)

I've just imported a Vario 814 camper conversion (1999) and would like to get it checked out as it doesn't have much of a service history. My local MB commercial dealer is Mudie Bond (Oxford) who I don't have any experience of, anyone dealt with them, or have alternative suggestions for an independent commercial outfit in Oxfordshire with experience of Mercedes trucks?

Andy_C

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

If I remember rightly the vario is the bl**dy great big panel vans as used by snap-on tool agents amongst others? I have always said that particularly with servicing the most reassuring way is to do it yourself as that way you can be sure of what has been done and that you have got what you are paying for. One thing to bear in mind though is that this thing is basically a truck so even something as simple as changing a wheel becomes something of a Hurculean challange and you need the tools and jacks etc. to match.

I guess the best way forward would be to approach your local merc truck garage and see if any of their staff would be willing to take on the servicing work as a foreigner/tutorial. If you imply in a friendly manner that there is no chance they will be getting the servicing work anyway but that you are more than happy to buy genuine service items from their parts counter (in my experience the same price as copy parts from many motorfactors) they should see that they are not doing their workshop out of work and will probably have one of the lads willing to earn a few bob at a weekend.

If you then decide that you don't want to work on it yourself at least you have a contact with the workshop staff so you can bypass the service desk managers and line up the servicing/repairs directly at much cheaper cash prices.

I have such a contact at my local merc dealer and he can even pop round with the star diagnostics computer if needed as he also does the breakdowns so has a fully kitted van 24/7.

An important point about getting parts from Merc is that as your van is an import they should be able to provide any non-standard to the UK parts from your chassis number which motorfactors will be unable to do.

OP
A

Andy_C

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

If I remember rightly the vario is the bl**dy great big panel vans as used by snap-on tool agents amongst others?

Yes, that's the one - 7.2m long, plus a back box making a total length of 7.7m. It weighs in at 5.75 tonnes, so I've a bit of payload to spare :)

I have always said that particularly with servicing the most reassuring way is to do it yourself as that way you can be sure of what has been done and that you have got what you are paying for. One thing to bear in mind though is that this thing is basically a truck so even something as simple as changing a wheel becomes something of a Hurculean challange and you need the tools and jacks etc. to match.

Yes it's a meaty bit of kit - I'd have done the servicing a few years ago, but I'm not so inclined to get 'down and dirty' these days!

I guess the best way forward would be to approach your local merc truck garage and see if any of their staff would be willing to take on the servicing work as a foreigner/tutorial. If you imply in a friendly manner that there is no chance they will be getting the servicing work anyway but that you are more than happy to buy genuine service items from their parts counter (in my experience the same price as copy parts from many motorfactors) they should see that they are not doing their workshop out of work and will probably have one of the lads willing to earn a few bob at a weekend.

That's not a bad idea, I think I'll go and book it in for a service and then see if I can have a chat with the guys there.

If you then decide that you don't want to work on it yourself at least you have a contact with the workshop staff so you can bypass the service desk managers and line up the servicing/repairs directly at much cheaper cash prices.

I have such a contact at my local merc dealer and he can even pop round with the star diagnostics computer if needed as he also does the breakdowns so has a fully kitted van 24/7.

An important point about getting parts from Merc is that as your van is an import they should be able to provide any non-standard to the UK parts from your chassis number which motorfactors will be unable to do.

True enough. The service desk seemed quite helpful on the phone when I rang to check the original spec of the van, they were able to give me all the details plus information of some warranty work that had been done in Germany.

I've already done a bit of work on it - sussed out why the instrument lights weren't working. Next thing is to check out the diff lock which also appears not to work. I'm also looking for an MPH tacho for it, to replace the KPH one...

Andy C

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom