Vaneo economy

Crickleymal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo 2006 1.7cdi
Hi All

This 1.7CDI Vaneo seems rubbish on the economy. I'm getting 35-40 on a 50 mile drive at a constant 70. In fact it's ranks with some of the worst petrol cars that I've owned. I'm taking it back to the garage tomorrow to have things looked at (handbrake is useless on anything other than a flat surface). They seemed a little cagey about looking at the economy so I thought I'd ask and see what your opinions are.
In the past all my diesel cars have done 45-50mpg on average and even the petrol cars have done 35-40 on a similar 50 mile commute. All my old cars were well over the 100k miles in fact the Picasso I just part exed had 186k on the clock, used no oil and did 50 mpg. This car has only 68k so only just run in really.

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
I am nobodies expert but your economy seems AWFUL!

Our family car for 16 years & 190,000 miles was an old fashioned, mechanical injection Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD. NEVER got below 40 mpg, most of the time gave high 40s and an ENORMOUS plume of black smoke when it was booted, like on the long way round for it's MOT test :)

More recently a 200,000 mile Skoda Fabia VRS diesel, never below 45, often above 55.

And now a C220 CDi Auto, 130,000 miles, over 40 in town, over 50 long distance, but somewhat more thirsty now the weather is cold!

Sounds like your 1.7 CDi is nearly 50% more thirsty than it should be.

Lily Lightfoot.

OP
C

Crickleymal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo 2006 1.7cdi
I think it's improving. I think the technique is to get up to speed reasonably rapidly then stay at one speed. The Mercedes motorway figures are apparently done at 75mph. So I have been cruising at that speed (an indicated 75 not actual mr policeman ).
Unfortunately the pump clicked off early so I didn't completely fill the tank yesterday so the economy would seem to be somewhere between 42 and 47. Which I can live with. But it definitely wasn't that good earlier.

Top Bottom