Vertical scratches on glass ?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
It helps to open a door before you pour the water on the windows to save condensation on the inside, leave open for a few minutes, job done.

I use a squeegee blade thing to clear the warm water / frost / ice residue as I go.

Do the lights front and back too.

MrsP used to take the pi55 when I went out in my dressing gown to clear the car windows. She now understands how easy it is to do and appreciates clear windows and bright lights as she does her commute. Happy wife, happy life :D:D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It helps to open a door before you pour the water on the windows to save condensation on the inside, leave open for a few minutes, job done.

I use a squeegee blade thing to clear the warm water / frost / ice residue as I go.

Do the lights front and back too.

MrsP used to take the pi55 when I went out in my dressing gown to clear the car windows. She now understands how easy it is to do and appreciates clear windows and bright lights as she does her commute. Happy wife, happy life :D:D
My wife generally uses the XC90...well ONLY uses the XC90 she refuses to drive the 63 (yay)...cold mornings i’m There with the hot water etc, she can open the app and preheat for the XC90, defrost (including heated screen and rear of course), toasty. Does she use the car in the mornings? No! Will I get to? No! Something well wrongs in my lifes innit?

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Not hot, nooooooo- you’ll have them all screaming at you about cracked glass soon :oops:
ha ha, yes I know, I've even used close to boiling before on old company cars, I'm a lot more sensible now.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
If you bourght the car when you joined in May , and the scratches weren't there during the summer , have you scraped ice off the side windows in a neat vertical action (in your ownership) ? If you haven't then I would think the cause is the rubber seal ? If you can answer that question you will at least know how not to cause it in the future , either by regular seal cleaning or not ice scraping (assuming you go on to get the glass replaced)
The scratches were there when I bought it, to be honest I never noticed them, they show mostly when it's sunny, and I never scrape the ice off ever, use warm water like Capra.

Last edited:

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
The scratches were there when I bought it, to be honest I never noticed them, they show mostly when it's sunny, and I never scrap the ice off ever, use hot/near boiling water like Capra.
FTFY :)

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I Fancied a CLK, bought an SL350
Looks like sand or grit has been stuck on the Windows rubber seal where it meets the top of the door
Defo grit/sand trapped in the outer door window trim, they usually have a felt type material that loves to hold sand and alike.
I used to take the trims off me Jaguar X-Type then clean out the trapped particles, or you can get most of it by cleaning with the window down.
Cerium Oxide paste used with your polishing machine should at least lessen the appearance, would require patience and a uniform attempt, protect the paintwork from the paste, its super abrasive. You'll find youtube demos helpful.
There seems to be quite a lot of scratches, maybe consider replacing the glass in this case.
If you polish, post a pic of your results ;)

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
ha ha, yes I know, I've even used close to boiling before on old company cars, I'm a lot more sensible now.

Boiling water could be used for far more important things, first thing in the morning, like a nice Cuppa.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Took this pic today in the sun, as the scratches show up even more, the drivers window is actually quite bad and by far the worst followed by the passenger window and even the back two windows are slightly scratched. Tried some jewellers rouge but made no difference. I'm going to try vtaylor78's idea and try and get at least the drivers window changed if not the passenger's aswell through the insurance. If not think I will bite the bullet and get them changed myself, as they are bugging me now.
20181111_120854.jpg

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Wow ..far worse than mine .... I’ve got a few scratches but nothing on that scale .

Having a detailer look at my car shortly to give it some long overdue tlc ...

Will see what he says about mine.... though not hopeful I don’t think I need to replace as much as you might have to...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That drivers door is Really bad, definitely a distraction and a safety issue.
You will not have a problem getting them changed on your insurance, just the excess to pay.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My insurance, People's Choice ( part of Hastings)
won't pay for the scratched front window glass, they said if they were chipped,
cracked or obviously smashed they would, but not scratched. :( I've phone Mercedes for a quote they said £434 To supply and fit the 2 front windows.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Tony, Very surprised to hear that , is that their final word on it ?

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Tony, Very surprised to hear that , is that their final word on it ?
Yep, i e-mailed them saying I wasn't very happy with there decision, got a phone call from the complaints department, i explained exactly the problem, they still said no, it's wear and tear. So might have to bite the bullet and go to Mercedes or perhaps a firm that polish scratches from glass, if there videos are anything to go by they seem to be very good, or just live with them, but as I'm quite OCD about my car's that might not be an option. Ah well there's worse thing's happening in the world I suppose. :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom