Vibration when starting a 190

funks

Reaction score
I would appreciate if any one can tell what causes the car to vibrate when it starts moving . The car makes a sort of rocking movement when in the first gear. Is it the propshaft or differential, or perhaps the grearbox as it becomes increasingly difficult to shift the gears?
Thank you guys for advice.

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
It sounds as if you have a couple of things going on at once. The vibration could be worn centering sleeves & vibration dampers on the propeller shaft. But as mentioned above can you be more descriptive to the problems occurring :)

OP
F

funks

Reaction score
Vibes on 190

Thank you guys for the prompt reply.

The vibration can be felt in the rear but not sure though. I can hear loose metal making noise moving back and forth when the car start moving. It is also difficult to engage the first gear. Thought it could be a prop that has become loose but could be something else.

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
By the sound of it you have two problems occurring.

1. The transmission is hard to shift into first gear.

2. You hear loose metal making noise when it moves back and forth.

The transmission being hard to shift into first gear can be as simple as worn shift rod joint ends, bent linkage (Shift Rods) or the shift mechanism bearing body.

Getting to the root of the problem:

I would first check the linkage for play if you find play then replace the shift rod joints.

If you don't find play then have another person assist you and have them run through the gears while visually inspecting the linkage from underneath for binding or bowing.

If all appears to be operating fine then disconnect the linkage from the shifter and run through the gear pattern and see if you can still feel the problem. If you can then it the shifter's shift mechanism bearing body that probably needs replaced.

If the problem still exists then check if the clutch is disengaging the whole way and so forth.

Now for the other problem:

I would start look for something being loose on the under carriage. It does not have to be in the rear of the vehicle since sound travels. The sound of metal could be a sloppy Drive Shaft Intermediate Bearing or the Universal Joint that binds the two shafts together. Inspect the prop before ruling it out :mrgreen:

Last edited:
OP
F

funks

Reaction score
Thanks William for the advice, I will check this out this weekend.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom