Virgin Merc Owner.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230 Kompressor 2002 2295cc
High all.

I am new to Mercedes ownership. I own a CLK230 Kompressor 2002. Lovely car to drive and be part of. Can't think why I didn't go for it sooner. It maybe because it was out of my pocket range. But, I have one and love it to the point of naming her. Yes, I named her Matilda. After the film, because the car moves me and is magical. It's awesome.

But I have a small issue which I'll start a new thread for. Mainly starting or lack of engine cranking when key is turned. No codes, Battery new in fobs, 12.2v on car battery.

Anyways, nice to join and be part of the Merc Club.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi and welcome.
Presumably both keys?
If you shake the key does it rattle?

Have checked that issue. The car was running fine I returned to the car after I had a nice cooked breakfast in my local food spot. I returned to the car, key in ignition, turned key and no cranking.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have checked that issue. The car was running fine I returned to the car after I had a nice cooked breakfast in my local food spot. I returned to the car, key in ignition, turned key and no cranking.
When you put the key in was there a click as it went in?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The key does all the normal things, activate the fuel pump, I hear it buzzing and relays clicking, it just won't turn over the engine.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like either there is a wire off the starter solenoid, the starter solenoid has failed or the engine start relay K40 has failed.
Not uncommon for the relay to fail.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
It it in park ?

Kenny

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's how it is.
I have just gone to pickup my car from where I had my lovely breakfast yesterday. I have jumped into the car turned the ingnition and life. She turned over beautifully and started without a missed beat.
Yesterday, it was very wet and also very water logged around some of the roads. We had some very strong winds and rain over the night before causing a few lake like puddles around and also fallen trees. It was after I had travelled through these areas that the problem arose after being parked for an hour. The food was too nice to gulp and leave.
I am now wondering if there are any exposed parts that are very sensitive to water around the lower engine area? I say this as although extreme was taken going through 4" of water, I can't help feel somehow that water has attacked a sensor or relay somewhere, that has caused this problem of not turning over the engine. I even thought about putting in a direct push button start from the battery to the starter. Or would that be a no no??

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a good point.
The neutral safety switch is on the side of the gearbox. If that became full of water it may have caused the issue.

Very good point. Is there a cover for that area at all? I think the engine splash pan has been removed in its previous life with the original owners. But I'm not sure is it supposed to have a full cover or just the front covered.
But I will put her up on the ramps to look. I know the water reached exhaust system as there was steam from the under car after pulling away from lake like puddles.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Its a good point.
The neutral safety switch is on the side of the gearbox. If that became full of water it may have caused the issue.
Sounds likely - fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds likely - fingers crossed! :rolleyes:
Damn - thinking of my 129 - the 722.6 box is different.
The only connections to the box are through the multi-connector on the electroplate.
Its worth checking though - its at the back of the gearbox.
Neutral inhibit is controlled by the TCU and the start inhibit relay K38. The TCU detects the position of the selector lever and the gearbox via a starter lockout contact internal to the gearbox and blocks engine start accordingly.

Best thing is probably to get it on STAR and see what is reported if anything.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Really good info. I can't help thinking that moisture is what's amplifying an existing problem.

Is it worth changing the K38 in case this is faulty, or given the damp/water issue, this problem is further towards the ground than the K38 relay?
I've just gone to the car and still starts fine with no missed beats. I am not sure where this relay is located, otherwise I'd test it. And all connections from it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like its called K38 on some cars and K40 in yours. The relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet and looks like this (whole thing):
s-l225.jpg

If it happens again try the following:
Note the display panel and whether it says P or N
If it doesn't the electronic selector is probably faulty.
Move the selector from P to N and back. Try starting after doing that.
If that fixes it the electronic selector is likely the issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like its called K38 on some cars and K40 in yours. The relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet and looks like this:
s-l225.jpg
Near the fuse box? Battery is the boot, so assuming that this K40/38 is in where the fusebox is located in the engine bay?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom