Viscous Fan Removal

eyelight

Reaction score
Our W124 E280 has a fan which runs all the time so today I attempted to replace the viscous coupling. Though I haven't got the special Mercedes tool required to lock the water pump pulley, I've been reading on the forum and elsewhere that this can be done with various home made substitutes.

'230K' talks about using a 5mm allen key, (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=169596&postcount=18) to lock it, which is what I tried, but to no avail.

Hard to even see where you're working at the back of the pulley, and eventually I had to quit due to it getting too dark at 3pm on July afternoon to see into the depths of the engine. Heavy rain with thunder and lightning drove me indoors soon after.

Seems like I'll have to remove the radiator hose which comes from the engine block to the thermostat, and my hose looks like it would need replacement if I even got it off in onepiece so I'll have to wait till next week to try this again.

Apologies for what's turning into a long and rambling post, but what do people recommend for locking the fan to unbolt it? Will a 5mm allen key do it? I was having a hard time trying to get it in there. Was using a long piece of coat hanger with a 90 degree bend on the end to try and locate the hole but it was still tough.

Any tips appreciated.
Thanks,

Larry

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Not always necessary.

Do ypou have the large nut type of viscous fan?

OP
E

eyelight

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.
My fan is attached by an 8mm Allen key headed bolt, if that helps. I've put the fan shroud back on now, so don't want to run out in the rain to check it.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Just use a lever against the pulley. Not to much though as it may get damaged. Be careful.

Normally the tension on the belt is good enough for the bolt to be undone. I did two in the week using this method.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom