VW Dieselgate

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I know I'm likely being thick here, but I missed why this scandal is so massive.
Especially the compensation calls for owners.

VW cheated emission tests by 'clever' software. Naughty.

This, certainly in the UK, would rate those vehicles for a lower road tax charge both at new and as an annual overhead. A bonus to any owner but a loss to any tax man.
Each country has and will fine VW as it sees fit and reclaim their lost tax.

The lower consumption claims, well these claims were missed by approx 12%. As I look at Honest John figures that's not abnormal, all manufacturers are misleading us there. If VW should compensate then I see the flood gates opening, but calls for compensation of 50% of the cars purchase price sounds like large law firms looking forward to litigation revenues.

Then the emissions themselves, 'if' there is any compensation due there it's to all others not the owners. It's all the environment that has suffered additional pollution, although by no more than new cars that don't have the engineering capability to produce cleaner.
The upshot of that bit is that it's the Gov'ts that would fine VW and use the dosh to all the others benefit (as if).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
They broke the 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not get caught".

OP
davemercedes

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I know I'm likely being thick here, but I missed why this scandal is so massive.
Especially the compensation calls for owners.

VW cheated emission tests by 'clever' software. Naughty.

This, certainly in the UK, would rate those vehicles for a lower road tax charge both at new and as an annual overhead. A bonus to any owner but a loss to any tax man.
Each country has and will fine VW as it sees fit and reclaim their lost tax.

The lower consumption claims, well these claims were missed by approx 12%. As I look at Honest John figures that's not abnormal, all manufacturers are misleading us there. If VW should compensate then I see the flood gates opening, but calls for compensation of 50% of the cars purchase price sounds like large law firms looking forward to litigation revenues.

Then the emissions themselves, 'if' there is any compensation due there it's to all others not the owners. It's all the environment that has suffered additional pollution, although by no more than new cars that don't have the engineering capability to produce cleaner.
The upshot of that bit is that it's the Gov'ts that would fine VW and use the dosh to all the others benefit (as if).

You seem to have missed out the fact that the owners these "nice. clean, safe diesels" that we were encouraged to buy by government who fell for the bent testing are going to be clobbered falling residual values and higher road tax that will be progressively set by the evangelistic councils who will stare at the self-righteous cash cow for five seconds before raising the cost!

But as usual, no compensation for that in UK although you might benefit from a scrapping scheme if you can afford to replace your car with new - but if you can't then remember the words of that nice Mr Osborne: We're all in this together :razz::razz::razz: !!! Yeah, right.

Oy! - Here's another little injustice for you to set right, Theresa!
- Hmmm: Silence is golden, they say!

OP
davemercedes

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
They broke the 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not get caught".

Quite right Craig. But now they're being looked at under the microscope they don't like it - it's similar hypocrisy to some of those evil people we've (correctly) banged up complaining that their human rights are being offended.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
You seem to have missed out the fact that the owners these "nice. clean, safe diesels" that we were encouraged to buy by government who fell for the bent testing are going to be clobbered falling residual values and higher road tax that will be progressively set by the evangelistic councils who will stare at the self-righteous cash cow for five seconds before raising the cost!

But as usual, no compensation for that in UK although you might benefit from a scrapping scheme if you can afford to replace your car with new - but if you can't then remember the words of that nice Mr Osborne: We're all in this together :razz::razz::razz: !!! Yeah, right.

Oy! - Here's another little injustice for you to set right, Theresa!
- Hmmm: Silence is golden, they say!

As I understand it by cheating the NOX tests the only loser is the air quality in the cities in which the general public people live. So rather than compensate owners who are unaffected as individuals or make them retrospectively recall cars at huge cost I don't know why the government can't just fine VW billions directly and then invest that in ways which reduce general pollution in cities to counteract it.

If there's a legal obstacle simply work out what the UK market is worth to VWAG annually and divide it by 2. Then say "Pay this amount in yearly installments for 15 years, you miss a payment and you will be banned from selling anything for 15 years with immediate affect".

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
As I understand it by cheating the NOX tests the only loser is the air quality in the cities in which the general public people live. So rather than compensate owners who are unaffected as individuals or make them retrospectively recall cars at huge cost I don't know why the government can't just fine VW billions directly and then invest that in ways which reduce general pollution in cities to counteract it.

If there's a legal obstacle simply work out what the UK market is worth to VWAG annually and divide it by 2. Then say "Pay this amount in yearly installments for 15 years, you miss a payment and you will be banned from selling anything for 15 years with immediate affect".

Now that I would support :)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom