W124 E320 Remote Fault,battery Flat,locked Out

Lordjellybelly

Reaction score
A great new years eve; car has been lying for a week, battery is less than six months old and now it`s dead so remote is no use on either of my keys. On the boot lock key inserts and opens it but on the passenger door key will not penetrate fully so can`t get in to open bonnet to charge battery.I read all the posts on the topic but no solution apparent. I`m no mechanic so only do the simplest jobs myself. Any advice very welcome.:confused:

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Give the door lock a squirt of WD40 and move the key in and out slowly, this will break up the crud in the lock, once full penatration has been acheived slowly unlock lock door, add WD if required.

jib

OP
L

Lordjellybelly

Reaction score
Thanks but already tried that but I suppose another squirt never hurt anybody

OP
L

Lordjellybelly

Reaction score
Who says Merc quality was great until the 2000s. After more WD40 and using both keys, one with a star and one without, the latter eventually went right in the passenger door lock when the other one refused about the last 3 or 4mm so all I need to do now is trace the leak but at least I`ll have a charged battery tomorrow.:p:razz:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
WD40 should not be used as it dries, and it is not a lubricant, Silicon or white grease should be used

w124nut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 cabriolet 1994 E320
..............so all I need to do now is trace the leak but at least I`ll have a charged battery tomorrow.:p:razz:

I suggest that to keep your battery in tip top condition, purchase a battery conditioner. I have fixed a CTEK model to my cabriolet and hopefully it does what is says on the box. ;)

Good Luck

OP
L

Lordjellybelly

Reaction score
Are CTEK units fixed permanently to car? The problem when a car is parked outside like mine is the aggravation putting it on a trickle charger

w124nut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 cabriolet 1994 E320
Are CTEK units fixed permanently to car? The problem when a car is parked outside like mine is the aggravation putting it on a trickle charger

You have the option of crocodile clips or fixing leads permanently to the battery. These leads have an in-line male/female connecting plug to which the conditioner is attached to. When I want to drive my cabriolet, I just separate the male from the female connector, close the bonnet and drive away.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom