W124 front door trim removal

• Thread starter 3ColliesMercandRangie
  • Start date

3ColliesMercandRangie

Hi, My missus has just bought a 1989 230TE to transport her ever-growing pack of collies to agility shows. Great car, built like a battleship (and about as big!) :D .
Only problem is the drivers door electric window which doesn't quite close fully. I need to get inside the door to have a look at the workings but I don't want to damage the trim while removing it. Are there any hints or tips for safe removal of this trim?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bob:confused:

Chazchuzzlewitt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W/S124 320TE Estate
bolt under the door handle plastic trim cover (clips off), disconnect the handle mechanism (metal hook lifts out of holder) and electrical connection, then screw for the plastic lock cover trim (halfway down the door at the 'back' edge. The rest of the trim is on clips- left it up and out to remove.

OP

3ColliesMercandRangie

Hi Chaz, Fantastic! thanks for super quick reply. I'll get on with it now.
This is my very first encounter with Mercedes and I'm very impressed.
We thought a £500 (151,000 miles, FSH, alloys, nearly new tyres, pity it's cream) car would be OK for a year but I can see this one going on for ever! What we spend in low-ish mpg will be vastly offset by zero depreciation.
Best wishes, Bob

tom7035

Reaction score
3ColliesMercandRangie said:
Only problem is the drivers door electric window which doesn't quite close fully. I need to get inside the door to have a look at the workings but I don't want to damage the trim while removing it. Are there any hints or tips for safe removal of this trim?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bob:confused:
Bob, you'll likely find the top three or four teeth on the window regulator quadrant are worn, requiring a replacement quadrant which is very expensive new from MB. If you are lucky the gear on the motor might be OK as it's a bit harder. A breaker's yard is the route to go, but they will probably only supply complete with motor. Cost should be somewhere around £20 - £30, plus carriage if required. Often individuals breaking on eBay too, and cheaper sometimes.

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
I managed to pick a brand new one up from eBay for £40. Granted it was made in Tiawan but so far (touch wood) its been ok

OP

3ColliesMercandRangie

Thanks to all, brilliant forum!
Got the door panel off no problem. Fault was indeed worn teeth on quadrant. Removed mechanism and built up teeth with mig welder then filed to shape. I made up a template with a bit of scrap steel by clamping it to the good teeth, filing it to shape than transferring it to the welded bit. A bit long drawn out but it worked.
Motor was also a bit intermittent so stripped down and lubricated , also skimmed commutator in lathe. I think the initial problem was caused by the lower horizontal slider guide having moved causing the window to jam in its tracks. After re-assembly a bit of fiddling saw the window sliding smoothly all the way up.
Once again I'd like to thank all those who helped me with this. I'll no doubt be back come MoT time!
Cheers,
Bob:D

Top Bottom