1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Wanted] W124 FRONT WING TOP FIXING CLIPS .

Discussion in 'Spares for Sale and Wanted' started by DREAMER NO2, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    He can anyone help me ?. Would any one have a couple of the metal fixing clips that slot in to the top rail on the body to hold the front wings on .Removed my old wing to-day and lost 2 down in to the void of inner wing . New wing due back any time from the painters but need the clips to re fit it.

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Magnet on a stick?

3. Xtractorfan

Xtractorfan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S class
    The dealer will most probably have them and they won't be expensive, or any breakers yard.
    Oh and if you have an old laptop computer the little magnets that hold the computer closed are extremely strong and can be taped to a long piece of dowel rod to make a very good pick up magnet.

4. brianbrian

brianbrian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w124 250D, SL129-deisel
    Sorry I cannot be off help, so you managed to get a o,s front wing. As said Mercedes will post them to you. Have just fitted two front wings on our 124 goes in the body shop for spraying two weeks time.

5. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Lostkiwi did all the magnet stunt for over an hour . The one that fell, went down inside the sill .Fell inside via the overflow bottle in the inner wing .Brainbrian just removed the one to get the body nice and sealed with black wax removed the arch liner to get righ to the inside of the inner wing .Pics to follow .Went to take pictures last night .But the sun was on the camera, and pictures would not be any good . Just need one clip after finding one of them i will try again to-day .

6. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
  7. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    This was what i found after wing removed . Not to bad realy just loose surface paint close to the bumper bracket . In the picture i was just about to remove the arch liner to get more room to clean inside the arch and coat it with black wax . The wing corrosion was due to the mercedes under seal going very hard splitting and then letting water get in to the center of both wing and under seal.

Attached Files:

LostKiwi likes this.
  8. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Any pictures Brian of your wing replacement ?.. Post mine in a few mins. Di it opver with black wax by Hamerite .

9. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Looking good now ready to fit the new wing .

Attached Files:

10. brianbrian

brianbrian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w124 250D, SL129-deisel
    No I did not take pictures, as the wings were not that bad ,but to late I had. Bought new .surprised how clean it was with the wings of, but I always hose under all wings when I wash the car. Our old wings were slightly damaged from Tescos car park.I think it is because they are a long car. Yes I do use Hammerite, When you put the new wing on, you will find the rubber sill round the weather gaurd keeps fulling of, just put a bit of tape to hold it in place.Will put pictures up when it comes out the paint shop.

11. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Yes i had the problem on the arch liner rubber seal kept moving , so i drilled it and put 2 pop rivets in . DSC03516.JPG DSC03517.JPG DSC03517.JPG DSC03517.JPG So now both my wings are done, this was the passengers side .I used some other wax on that one .

12. brianbrian

brianbrian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w124 250D, SL129-deisel
    Thank you,do be careful when you fit the plastic trafficaters when you have put new wings on,do not force them in as if they are not lined up they can break easy.

DREAMER NO2 likes this.
  13. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Yes i learned about that last time i had them out to replace the passengers side wing .I have 2 pair of them now as spares .lol And still have one in situ that i repaired while waiting for the spares ones to come

14. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Still waiting on the paint shop to finish the wing . Had email to say paint mix was done and now with them .Today they are going to test spray on old wing for a paint match . Just need a off side mudflap . I re fitted the one in question 4 years ago after the snow pulled it off .This flap was in the boot when i got the car. And was damaged but with a washer i refitted it . Need another one now its to far gone to put back on.

15. brianbrian

brianbrian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w124 250D, SL129-deisel
    Good your back, work stopped on ours as I have just come out of hospital after operation, hope to be getting on with it soon. How much are you being charged for spraying a wing? Have got to buy plastic mold clips. I love the 124

16. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Brian yes the shop is in Bridgnorth Shropshire . I took the old wing for paint match as i said . Gave me a price of £200 . But told him about the forum and said, well i will make it £150 i said if its good job i will up it another £50 . So its wait and see now . What are the clips your after ?. Are they the three on the very bottom of the wing finisher that cover the fixing bolts ,or the ones in the center of the wing .Those are are just plastic push in x3 in to the wing as i have a few of those but not any that fit in the finisher x3. I dont have any for the finishers only for the wing itself .And those are used ones .

17. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Brian hope you will soon be better to finish your W124 wings . These are the clips in question . Three in the mouldings at the top these just push fit in to inserts in the wing , those i have a few inserts but no clips . The other moulding on the bottom the retaining clips are fitted in to the wing first and you fit the top of the moulding on to them first shoving down till they click in .Some can go on easy others you have to work on them to get it on in place. If stuck for the inserts for top moulding i have some you can have .

18. brianbrian

brianbrian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w124 250D, SL129-deisel
    I fitted the n,s wing before I became ill. The spray shop painted it perfect match, 100 quid, I have thrown the old wings away forgetting to take of 3 round plastic bits that fit in the three holes of the wing for the moulding to fit.mercedes are unable to help me out.the car goes in the paint shop in the next week or so for the complete respray, of o,s of car where it has some marks on the panels, no filler required,I have known the paint shop sprayer a long time he is 64, only does 3 days a week now so no v.a.t. Cash job 400 quid

19. brianbrian

brianbrian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w124 250D, SL129-deisel
    The three round plastic bits for top of moulding to push in,I put a bit of Vaseline round the holes, they slip in easy. Yes thank you would like three of those of you, can not find them on EBay either. Would you post them I would refund you, my address is 2 cypress close. Honiton. Devon ex14 2yw

20. OP
    DREAMER NO2

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Brian i will send you 6 three white and three red . Will be in the post on Tuesday will that be ok .Trev

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018