w124 headlamp range adjuster - replace or repair?

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
I've determined that one of my headlamps is not being pulled up by the engine vacuum. The hoses to both sides are fine, as evidenced by the fact that the working lamp will drop if *either* vacuum host is disconnected - therefore pointing the finger at the mechanism within the map unit itself.

My question is whether this element can be replaced on its own, or whether I must obtain a whole new headlamp assembly?

I believe the faulty item is number 32 in this diagram:
Capture.png

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Pretty sure the part can be swapped out on its own.

OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
Hi mate,

Shining a torch in, it does look like the axis for movement on that circular bellows is damaged, however it's not clear how I might remove it from the rear of the lamp to check whether vacuum is trying to move it or not :/

I've tried to remove the headlamp so that I can dismantle it, but I can't get at the bolt on the inside next to the radiator... need a smaller tool.

Might be one to leave to Cole...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Using vacuum seems to have been a backward approach by Mercedes. All my cars with a headlight level adjusters have used an electric motor. Did Mercedes not see how effective vacuum operated wipers were on Fords of the 60s or Lotus Elan's vacuum operated pop up head lamps? :D:D:D

OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
Using vacuum seems to have been a backward approach by Mercedes. All my cars with a headlight level adjusters have used an electric motor. Did Mercedes not see how effective vacuum operated wipers were on Fords of the 60s or Lotus Elan's vacuum operated pop up head lamps? :D:D:D

Thinking of the vacuum system makes me conjure up an image of Gertrude (my w124) holding her breath to squeeze her stomach in while rolling down the motorway with her eyes about to burst :/ Bless....

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom