w124 rev limit in neutral

fatboy

Reaction score
hi, can anyone help me with this query? i have just bought a 1996 w124 auto e200 estate and when in the park or neutral positions the engine revs up to 4000rpm and then starts to misfire, however when being driven it revs right up to the red line with no misfiring. is this some kind of safety feature or do i have a problem. if it's a problem can anyone tell me what it is. thanks in advance for any answers, rod.

type49

Reaction score
Got it in one. It's a safety feature, they all do it.

OP
F

fatboy

Reaction score
hi, thankyou so much for the quick reply. i only bought it a few days ago and thought i'd bought wrong un.

edmundgoode

Reaction score
Rev limiter

As per "Type 49"
This is the rev limiter, standard on most of the Mercedes range. The limiter came into use about the same time as weight saving cylinder liners and roller type rocker arms the 4000 rpm limit was necessary as the mean drag friction pressure (often in the V6 engine) needs to be controlled. The stress on the engine is taken away through the crank and final drive when in motion, staitionary these friction reducing, weight saving measures would soon demise should peolple/owners be allowed to sit still and rev the engine at 4000+ rpm.;)

OP
F

fatboy

Reaction score
hi, well that thoroughly answers that then. thanks for the info.

Top Bottom