W124 Self levelling suspension

ecossebev

Reaction score
The suspension on my 1991 230TE is sitting about 2-3" above what I think it should. It looks like a Citreon with the suspension pumped up. Ihave had everything from, the wrong springs, faulty shock absorbers, to the self levelling pump. As I know nothing about s/l suspension, any help would be appreciated. Its front and back suspension that is affected.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Is this a UK-spec car? Has it been modified? Where do you buy it from? How much higher is it than a normal 230TE?

If the front is too high then I'd suspect it has the wrong springs. The rear might be the height corrector wrongly adjusted but is more likely to be the wrong springs

An estate with standard suspension in good condition will sit quite high, particularly at the back. It may look like there is 2-3" of clearance above the tyre

Post up a photo and we'll be able to help you more

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
ecossebev

ecossebev

Reaction score
Yes it is a UK spec. car. It was bought privately and seems to have been well looked after. Someone I spoke to had told me the top of the lower door trim should be level with the top of the wheel rim. This is the guide I am using for my calculations of 2-3".

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Yes it is a UK spec. car. It was bought privately and seems to have been well looked after. Someone I spoke to had told me the top of the lower door trim should be level with the top of the wheel rim. This is the guide I am using for my calculations of 2-3".

That sounds ok to me. Mine is the same as yours. Sportline cars do sit a bit lower than that. The important thing is that the car is level front to rear.

Top Bottom