W124 SLS sphere replacement

K1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 320TE auto Japanese import
Hi everyone. I am partway through replacing spheres on my 320 te 1993 and one seized fitting has defeated me. The car is mostly corrosion-free but I cannot remove the pipe to the passenger side sphere, and even though I have used a SnapOn quality flare spanner the nut has rounded off. Before cutting through the pipe I want to be sure I can replace it. MB have the pipe in stock but I am frightened to try to undo the other end at the self-levelling valve in case that end is also seized. I prepared everything with 24 hrs of repeated Plus Gas and so far the valve end also won't loosen off. I can't face putting more pressure on the spanner.
I have seen references to compression fittings that will make possible a joint between a length of the new pipe and the existing pipe but I have Googled every combination of words to find such fittings with no success. Where do I get them?
Thanks.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Have you got some propane heat on it?

Just done my 210's 3 rusted SLS pipes, OH it was a truely hateful exercise!

OP
K

K1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you got some propane heat on it?

Just done my 210's 3 rusted SLS pipes, OH it was a truely hateful exercise!

Hi om613... no, I haven't tried heat yet but that will be the next step later today. I think I will also take the plunge and cut the pipe so I can get a proper spanner or socket on the connector instead of the flare spanner. I have ordered the replacement pipe and it looks possible to wiggle that into place at both ends.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Heat is the key...the SLS valve connection on mine was a right bugger. Try not to set the car on fire, though!
Made my new lines up in copper

OP
K

K1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you try a spanner like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3713584592...=9046157&device=c&campaignid=805983114&crdt=0

A six sided spanner will be far less likely to round the nuts.
Hi LostKiwi... I had no success with a flare spanner at the SLS valve end after an hour-long routine of alternate hot-air-gun/squirt-of-Plusgas (and fire extinguisher under car with me) so cut the pipe and used a socket but at the sphere end I will have to use an oscillating saw as soon as I get a new blade this morning. New pipe should arrive this morning.

Top Bottom