W124 SLS steel pipe size

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'95 E300D estate, '16 Golf, '58 Unimog 404, '95 Defender CSW
I've just fixed a rusted section of SLS pipe on my E300 D estate. While searcing around for tips on how to do this I couldn't find a clear answer to the question of what size the pipe is. The answer is just over 6mm od and around 4.3mm id. I couldn't easily source an exact size in steel (a local hydraulic supplier only had 3mm id), so I made do with copper/nickel. This too was difficult to obtain in 6mm (plenty of copper around in 6mm but not much copper/nickel) and I can confirm that while 1/4" is loosely nominally equivalent, at about 6.3mm od, the Mercedes compression union needed to be bored out slightly with a 1/4" drill to fit the copper sides. It has worked well.

K1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 320TE auto Japanese import
I've just fixed a rusted section of SLS pipe on my E300 D estate. While searcing around for tips on how to do this I couldn't find a clear answer to the question of what size the pipe is. The answer is just over 6mm od and around 4.3mm id. I couldn't easily source an exact size in steel (a local hydraulic supplier only had 3mm id), so I made do with copper/nickel. This too was difficult to obtain in 6mm (plenty of copper around in 6mm but not much copper/nickel) and I can confirm that while 1/4" is loosely nominally equivalent, at about 6.3mm od, the Mercedes compression union needed to be bored out slightly with a 1/4" drill to fit the copper sides. It has worked well.

Hi crt: where can I buy a Mercedes compression union? I posted on Saturday to try to find out but got no responses to that question.

OP
C

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'95 E300D estate, '16 Golf, '58 Unimog 404, '95 Defender CSW
MB dealer. Mine had to order them in for the next day. About £6 each. If yours won't do it, phone Taunton and they will post out. My local hydraulic place also has a similar fitting for about the same price. They look exactly the same as a plumbing compression fitting though the olive is an elongated tapering thing.

K1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 320TE auto Japanese import
MB dealer. Mine had to order them in for the next day. About £6 each. If yours won't do it, phone Taunton and they will post out. My local hydraulic place also has a similar fitting for about the same price. They look exactly the same as a plumbing compression fitting though the olive is an elongated tapering thing.

That's very helpful. Thank you.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom