W124 Valve Guides - Are they damaged?

Anonymous

Reaction score
I carefully removed the valve seals from each of the 8 valves on my 1985 230E petrol engine. I see that at the top of each guide , on one part of the circumference, the metal is jagged back as if to 'retain' the oil seal. Is this as expected, or is a result of wear (the valves all seem in good nick) or what? I used a proper valve spring compressor, and lots of TLC...?      

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
W124 Valve Guides

Hi Tony,

The tops of the valve guides should have no jagged edges. Without looking its hard to tell whats happned. But if in doubt. Change them. Its not worth the hassle.

And you will sleep more soundly at night.

Regards
Andy@ www.mercedesservicing.com

PS. If you have a digital camera. Take a photo and Email me from my site.

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
W124 Valve Guides

I inspected the (bronze?) valve guides and can see that they are manufactured with a small saucer-shaped indentation on the top rim, facing towards the camshaft.
The inlet guides are all in perfect nick, but the top rims of the exhaust guides are a bit jagged. What could have caused this under normal running with the valve seals sitting comfortably on top of the guide rims?Carbon, maybe ?  Is replacing valve guides a big job?

Andy

Reaction score
Website
W124 Valve Guides

Hi Tony,

The valve guide replacement is not a big job. Although you will have to take to a dealer or an engineer to have them fitted, since a special tool is required. As I said before if in doubt change them. They are approx £4.50ech from the dealer. Check your guides carefully for excess free movement with the valve stems.

Regards
Andy @www.mercedesservicing.com

PS, 85 is right on the change is your vehicle a 123 or 124. Very early 124 had valve guide problems, premature wearing. Most of the vehilcles had there valve guides replaced under warranty. Usually there is a colour difference. Copper colour is the old type, brass colour is the modified type.  

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
W124 Valve Guides

Andy, this 1985 124 engine DID have valveguide problems at 75Kmiles. A local head-skimming engineer says the valveguides  replacements were 'knurled' , which indicates, he said,  they were rectified in Crewe (or Crewe Engineering...?) which explains why they are an odd shape...he'll now replace them.    

Andy

Reaction score
Website
W124 Valve Guides

Hi Tony,

I am not so sure about what your engineer is saying. But I am glad that you are having them replaced. No point in getting as far as you are and having doubts.
You should be able to sleep easier now.

Regards
Andy @www.mercedesservicing.com

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom