W163 Radio Upgrade

ldare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 270ML Inspiration / 2007 R320 Sport
Hi
Just thought I'd share my experience for anyone searching in years to come.

Today I removed a Comand unit from my 2003 270ML Inspiration.

Why?
Two reasons, the first is the sat nav address look up is almost impossible unless you want to go to a town or a street that's been there 50+ years. The second is I didnt have the telephone which I really miss (I have in my w251).

Solution!
I opted for a Kenwood DNX5260BT Double din unit off eBay for £180 plus postage. The unit seems/feels like a budget unit from Kenwood but has Garmin sat nav and a DVD player plus bluetooth phone connectivity and the address book loads quicker than the comand 2.0 in my w251.

Installation
Very easy, the w163 has an iso connector, just make sure you send power to the radio antenna amplifier, in my case it was a thin red wire (not the thick red one!!!) that needed connecting to the antenna power out cable on the Kenwood unit. Luckily the roof mounted GPS antenna on the M series has the same connector as the Kenwood unit required.

Time will tell but I think I'm pleased with the upgrade. Plus I think the comand unit might sell on eBay for more than Ive paid on the kenwood.

OP
L

ldare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 270ML Inspiration / 2007 R320 Sport
Quick update:
Yes the Kenwood Unit is far better than the Comand 2.0. The Sat Nav (powered by Garmin) works much better and I particularly like the way I can output a different audio source to the rear speakers than the front so the kids can listen to one thing and us something else.

Bluetooth handsfree is great too. Quicker to activate than the Comand 2.0 APS in my other Merc.

Sold the Comand 2.0 DX on eBay for a little over £200 so the upgrade hasn’t cost me anything.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom