W164 ML 420 radiator

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
I hit a deer on Thursday and am in the process of repairing the front of my ML.

At first it looked like a replacement upper grille and a repair to a crack in the bumper. When I started pulling it apart it looks like the horns have been pushed back and made contact with the rad. There doesn't seem to be a leak and the coolant tank is still full (drove the car home +\-20 miles after the bash). I am thinking about changing the rad as a precautionary measure.

Does anyone know if there is an oil cooler for the gearbox built into the main rad (last one I did was on the W208 430 and it was).

How big a job is the rad on the W164 420.

Cheers,
Mark

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Looks like the rad that's damaged is the AC condensor not the engine rad. Is it simple enough for my local garage to replace the condensor. .??

Is it easier if I leave the bumper off for the garage to replace this, or is it tackled from the engine side??

Cheers,
Mark

-AJC-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 ML 320 CDI W164
Mark - did you replace the radiator in the end??

Facing a similar job on my 320 CDI and the only video I've found is for the W163. However, the rads look very similar and I suspect access is also achieved on the W164 by removing the front grille (easy) and top cross member.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It's bumper and crash bar off to do the AC condenser. Did one last week, took a couple of hours

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Sorry AJC, in the end the rad was fine, just the intercooler damaged.

Top Bottom