W168 A140 Timing Chain rattle

jase_311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A140/2000/1.4
Hi,

I have a W168, A140 that has a rattle sound noticeable on idle and getting worse over time. The poly v belt, and tensioner jockey have been replaced and have made no difference. A MB mechanic has now said that the noise is the timing chain, but declinded to give price as it is more that the car is worth! As far as I am aware, this is around 8 hrs labour, and a £50 part the replace the chain.

I have googled the problem, and there appears that the chain tensioner is the cause of the problem, can this be changed without replacing the chain, or should both be done at the same time.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?

OP
J

jase_311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A140/2000/1.4
Does anyone have access to WIS - what is the list time to replace. Can anyone post?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
I have googled the problem, and there appears that the chain tensioner is the cause of the problem, can this be changed without replacing the chain, or should both be done at the same time.Has anyone else seen this problem before?
Hi
If the engine has to be dropped to get to the timing chain, which is time consuming, then you might as well get a new chain.
How far away are you from Wimbledon ?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom