W169 Armrest - what were they smoking?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
34053146351_74b6dc304f_o.jpg

The W169 armrest is not a pinnacle of Mercedes engineering, I am sorry to say: almost zero functionality, particularly for a RHD car (as Mercedes didn't bother to reverse the layout); doesn't open, so no useable storage underneath; moves forward 2½" to reveal a tiny 1" x 3" cub, and in doing so displays an appalling design flaw:

33799543270_ddb1a46a3b_o.jpg

The plastic groove / metal pin tolerances are huge, and there's a noticeable play - very annoying.

Unfortunately, fixing it in 'forward' position is not an option, as it has to move back, to allow access to the parking brake (for adjustment, etc, not for normal operation, so was tempted...)

I have just removed the top to have it leather trimmed, and was wondering if anyone can suggest what can be done to rectify this problem.

Last edited:

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W176 Blue Eff CY Sport CDI & C Class Coupe 2002 220CDI
If only there were a useable aftermarket model that could actually be used mate.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm now seriously considering fixing it in forward position, after having the top leather-trimmed, as I can't see how the play can be reliably remedied ...

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Would it be possible to sleeve the metal pin with some heat shrink tubing?

This might take out some of the free play but would entail some work.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would it be possible to sleeve the metal pin with some heat shrink tubing?

This might take out some of the free play but would entail some work.

Thanks Chris, that's very interesting, just not sure how long will the heat shrink last, with constant friction?
I thought of finding a suitable PE tubing for the pin, but heat shrink is obviously a much better solution.
That, or fixing a metal strip to either the top or the bottom slide ...
The other problem is - taking the rocking/sliding part off of the top cover will require breaking it off essentially - a few rivets holding it together ... Honestly, I'm very tempted to just nail it shut, so to speak!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Fit a thin wall metal tube over the pin? Or wrap it in shim brass?

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Thanks Chris, that's very interesting, just not sure how long will the heat shrink last, with constant friction?
I thought of finding a suitable PE tubing for the pin, but heat shrink is obviously a much better solution.
That, or fixing a metal strip to either the top or the bottom slide ...
The other problem is - taking the rocking/sliding part off of the top cover will require breaking it off essentially - a few rivets holding it together ... Honestly, I'm very tempted to just nail it shut, so to speak!

Heat shrink is quite tough stuff once it's been shrunk.

How about lining the groove with self adhesive felt strip? MB sell this in a variety of widths (it's on EPC), I've used a lot of this on my 168 sorting interior trim noises, binding wiring and so on.

The rivets, are they metal? Drill them off and fit new ones?

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fit a thin wall metal tube over the pin? Or wrap it in shim brass?

Ah, something else I didn't think about. I love this forum! Cheers Alastair.

As I am hoping to comeback to life, if there is anything or help please ask David, you do know me

Thanks Malcolm, I'll definitely pop in for a chat and advice later on. Also wanted to show you the new bonnet badge and ask about steering buttons assembly removal ...

Heat shrink is quite tough stuff once it's been shrunk.

That's good to know - maybe that's all I need.

How about lining the groove with self adhesive felt strip? MB sell this in a variety of widths (it's on EPC), I've used a lot of this on my 168 sorting interior trim noises, binding wiring and so on.

The rivets, are they metal? Drill them off and fit new ones?

Great, I actually have some that I used to repair a medium format [film that is] camera - Mamiya 645 - a couple of years ago ...

The rivets are plastic, some heat-welded, and there are a couple of metal rods that I can probably just hammer out.

Being a very lazy erm ... individual, I was trying to find a solution that didn't require taking this apart.

Yes, it is shameful :(

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB sell this in a variety of widths (it's on EPC)

Just to be on the safe side, what's the part number(s) or category to look for this. I think I'll need a 3mm one

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I keep heat shrink in most sizes, what ever you want is take you like, never get stuck ever with electrics, I have the strength now I hope that is hear to stay. If it rains you can use the garage

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Just to be on the safe side, what's the part number(s) or category to look for this. I think I'll need a 3mm one

On the left hand top corner of EPC home page; MD Mode- Paint/operating fluids- Car- 19 Sealing tapes/cords.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I keep heat shrink in most sizes, what ever you want is take you like, never get stuck ever with electrics, I have the strength now I hope that is hear to stay. If it rains you can use the garage

Fantastic! Thanks Malcolm :)

Blimey I have Mamiya 645 upstairs :)

What?! It's mine! ;)
I actually put that kit together for our friend's daughter - she was taking photography at Northampton College - it was surprisingly inexpensive to acquire a body and three lenses ... best birthday present ever she said.
Brought back some memories too - I had a full set of Press 23 Pro (as in every lens, adapter, back (even 70mm) and accessory LOL); RZ67 and a 645 back in 80s-90s o_O

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not yours - this one came from NZ!
I did have a 645AFD-II for a while too. That was a lovely thing and I regret selling it as I could have converted it (for a medium sized mortgage) to digital.
The ordinary 645 is very cheap for lenses etc and a decent film camera.
I also had a 330 Pro TLR. Loved that. Sold because I wasn't using it but may well get another at some point.
I'll post an image taken on the 330 in the photography thread sometime.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to update - following the armrest re-trim by Jack at the Royal Steering Wheels, to match the gearshift handle, and the steering wheel, he did earlier, I managed to rectify the problem, without having to completely disassemble the base of the armrest: a combination of a felt strip, gentle adjustment of plastic rails (heated), and some lithium grease solved the issue.

34923027033_180c9c3d86_o.jpg

35692659546_0541b111c6_o.jpg

Many thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom