W169 Steering wheel retaining nut

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W176 Blue Eff CY Sport CDI & C Class Coupe 2002 220CDI
I need to remove the steering wheel of my A class in order to replace the wiper stalk & have come across a small problem.

Could someone tell me the size of the allen key that fits the centre nut, it looks as if it could be 8.8mm but then I've never come across such a size before.

I could just buy a cheap set of allen sockets but would prefer to buy 1 quality product

anyone with such knowledge ?

Attachments

• DSCN0889.JPG
    DSCN0889.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 12

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
David, the WIS doesn't give the bolt size (as far as I can see), just the torque:

34785314052_6258a9b1d4_o.png

OP
David Richardson

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you David,
I appreciate your help & wonderful pics.
It could be that I need to buy a small set of allen sockets

David

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
I think that 8.8 refers to the tensile strength of the bolt.

(Referring to EPC) the steering wheel bolt is the same as on my W168, so I think that you will need a 10mm allen key socket and a suitably long bar/ratchet.

The torque setting is not huge but the thread lock that Mercedes use is quite good! The bolt shouldn't be re-used according to Mercedes.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The bolt shouldn't be re-used according to Mercedes.
How crucial is that? I only just noticed that on the above worksheet myself.
When Jack fitted my newly re-trimmed steering wheel he used the same bolt.
Should I be worried?

OP
David Richardson

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have heard a similar point before when fitting injector retaining clips & something like stretching the threads,
David if your steering wheel is firm then I wouldn't worry & I'll be using the same nut on my car

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
I have heard a similar point before when fitting injector retaining clips & something like stretching the threads,
David if your steering wheel is firm then I wouldn't worry & I'll be using the same nut on my car
I'm still waiting for the sad joke to surface....;)

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
The wheel retaining bolt on the CLS was a mare to remove , it was held very securely with the locking compound.

It was a two person job , one to hold the wheel and the other to loosen the bolt.

With the above in mind then maybe one "quality" socket may be the best option , rather than a cheapo set, as if you chew up the hex then you will be in trouble.

Kenny

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
How crucial is that? I only just noticed that on the above worksheet myself.
When Jack fitted my newly re-trimmed steering wheel he used the same bolt.
Should I be worried?

Not 100% certain but I think the reason for renewing the bolt is that it has thread locking compound pre-applied.

Perhaps the bolt can be re-used with a suitable good quality thread lock, Loctite or similar?

The bolt is tightened to 80Nm and (from memory) has a tapered seat that will act as a locking device.

Hope this helps

+1 for a good quality socket

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I need to remove the steering wheel of my A class in order to replace the wiper stalk & have come across a small problem.

Could someone tell me the size of the allen key that fits the centre nut, it looks as if it could be 8.8mm but then I've never come across such a size before.

I could just buy a cheap set of allen sockets but would prefer to buy 1 quality product

anyone with such knowledge ?

10mm

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Great, thanks. There's not a hint of play in the steering wheel, so should be OK I guess.

Not 100% certain but I think the reason for renewing the bolt is that it has thread locking compound pre-applied.
Perhaps the bolt can be re-used with a suitable good quality thread lock, Loctite or similar?

I wish I knew that - pretty certain, Jack didn't apply any, and I do have a very good one, I could have brought with me ...

The bolt is tightened to 80Nm and (from memory) has a tapered seat that will act as a locking device.
+1 for a good quality socket

Your memory is spot on! It's actually on the WIS page screenshot above ;)

Jack had a very nice high quality socket (and other tools), so that's fine -looking at the head here, it's perfectly intact:

34802001302_df9d939b50_o.jpg

I've reused mine as well.

Good to know, thanks.

I'm sure it'll be alright for now, but for the next time, I'll get a new one from Mercedes, to keep in my spares box :)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... I'm sure it'll be alright for now, but for the next time, I'll get a new one from Mercedes, to keep in my spares box :)

If the steering wheel comes off due to the re-used bolt, will you need a spare?

Umble

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
It is reusable, add a small amount of loctite.

If the bolts need to be thrown away, the WIS instructions will tell you, in this instance above, there is no such instruction.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I had to replace a steering wheel position sensor recently and my wife came out with a cuppa while I was in progress. She picked up the replacement sensor to see what it was. After getting it back and ready to put back together I thought I had the sensor all lined up and taped to go back in. Unfortunately not. I accidentally put it in 360 degrees out, (a whole turn to the left. i think it was to the left. Bear with me for the rest of this). Once assembled it gave me an error for the ABS / BAS / ESP plus a few other things.

On checking the steering angles it turned up as "Not Initialised" and read 360 degrees instead of zero while the wheels were dead ahead. On full lock it should go to about 570 degrees positive on the right and -570 to the left. It was reading about 730 degrees on the left and about 210 degrees on the left. (give or take a bit)

I stripped it all out again turned the sensor a full turn to to the right, popped it all back together and no faults.

Be careful out there!

OP
David Richardson

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks to all who have helped on this one, given the thought that if I screw up I may need to have the car reset on a star machine
at a cost, I will leave the job until the end of the month & take my car to my local indie at Mercare in Plymouth and pay him a couple of hours labour

Dave

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
As said, it will take two strong people, one to undo the bolt, I use a 3/4 inch bar with a 10mm socket,the one holding the steering wheel with one hand needs to have a club hammer so he can give the top of the socket a whack when you are undoing the bolt,this will crack it.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Grr so angry. Do not no how many steering wheels I have taken of with air bags. Putting it all back done the last screw up of the two on the air bag and with drew the drive when the socket came of and is still in the steering wheel. You can buy the tool where the socket and drive are in one

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom