W169 Under bonnet paint question

pomm001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R231 A clas W169
Recently acquired a lowish miles 169 as a run about
I am a sad man and like to clean the under bonnet area, i noticed that all the engine bay paint is 'flat' almost as it it has no lacquer on.
Anyway trying to clean the area proved difficult, tried polish, it worked to a degree, so tried some very diluted truck wash and a soft brush, that worked better but where i rubbed a few marks i could see the paint transferring to the rag, bl**dy hell. anyone had the same issue, used the same stuff on my 13 plate Class without issue

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The inside of my bonnet is "flat" too - but I had a brand new one from MB in 2015, and don't remember if the old (original) was different.

The rest of the painted bits in the engine bay are the same as the outside panels, I think, however I never tried to polish/clean them, other than a quick wipe ... will have a closer look this weekend.

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W176 Blue Eff CY Sport CDI & C Class Coupe 2002 220CDI
Mine is also a flat colour (silver without any lacquer) however a while ago I purchased some self adhesive sound deadening that has an aluminium finish & I fitted it fairly easily in the hollows of the underside of the bonnet & it has successfully quietened the engine noise.

I think it was from this E Bay seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6Pcs-Glas...708025&hash=item3f5c2d8f04:g:da4AAOSwuAVWupSs.

If you do consider placing this material, I think that I have a sheet somewhere that you could look at & try for yourself

Dave GLK is meticulous in the up keep of his car & wouldn't lead you astray

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine is also a flat colour (silver without any lacquer) however a while ago I purchased some self adhesive sound deadening that has an aluminium finish & I fitted it fairly easily in the hollows of the underside of the bonnet & it has successfully quietened the engine noise.

I too have done it (just the hollow / recessed sections), and was debating whether a second cover of the entire underbonnet will be suitable. Don't want to overdo it ...

Dave GLK is meticulous in the up keep of his car & wouldn't lead you astray

Ha ha, thanks David - you made me blush you know :rolleyes:

I wish I could do some of the mechanical bits myself...
Still, a good few electrical mods are planned for mid-August, and I'm going to enjoy doing all that.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Never ever polish under bonnet, well you can wax it but it is normally finished in a matt colour very similar to the outer finish. No lacquer is used in there as it is deemed to be a waste of lacquer as no one ever sees it other than the mechanics.
best just wiped over with a damp or silicone soaked rag.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom