W202 C240 ABS/ASR issues....

OneMadC240Owner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did have W202 C-Class 98 2.4 V6; Now have W203 2003 C220 CDi Coupe
Afternoon all!

I've had some 40,000 miles of trouble free (within reason) driving until now.
About 6 weeks ago, I got in & turned on the ignition - she fired up but the ASR/ABS warning light stayed on. Scratch head, press the ASR button on dash - lights remain on. Turn off, key out, try again - same situation. Check the book, right, no i'm not going to pop into my local MB mainline dealer (no offence chaps).

My local garage (who are superb) advised me that the front o/s ABS sensor has failed. They have replaced the sensor but the problem remained (ABS/ASR warning on dash), they have also checked the continuity of all wires from the sensor to the ABS ECU & from the ECU to the pump - all good. So by deduction have thought that the ABS ECU had failed, have purchased a 2nd hand one (appears to be newer than the original & definitely the correct part), fitted correctly - Turn on & the problem remains.

I am dreading the thought of an ABS pump failure, as I am assuming it's gonna be expensive. I have not yet contacted any other independent experts as yet either.
Please do comment, as all thoughts & ideas would be appreciated.

All the Best;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would go back to the sensor that was at fault, many do not get it right when fitting a new one

OP
O

OneMadC240Owner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm - Funnily enough I'm nipping over right now after a call.... apparently "the plot thickens...." which worries me a tad.
I shall ask the question. Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I presume that the garage had a code reader that showed this sensor to be at fault, this being the case it is hardly likely to be anything else

OP
O

OneMadC240Owner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Steve @ Avantgarde does it again!

Of course, I completely forget that my local garage knows Steve at Avantgarde - who has as usual, saved the day!
One MB sensor being delivered on Monday, one going back to GSF. :D

OP
O

OneMadC240Owner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I presume that the garage had a code reader that showed this sensor to be at fault, this being the case it is hardly likely to be anything else

Oh yup they have - and they also swapped the sensor, so they could replicate the fault on the near side & clear it. But could not do the same on the off side where the fault is.

But they called Steve Mowatt & he suggested only an MB part. I can't fault my local garage, they are spot on guys & know thier stuff. Plus learning has taken place from my point of view and over at the garage too. I think that will be the solution......

Thanks again Malcolm!

Last edited:
Top Bottom