W202 Instrument Cluster Bulb indentification and unit Removal

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
had my W202 1997 C180 Sport Manual for a while now and i'm getting to the point where the 2 bulbs that need replacing in the cluster are doing my nut in. i have a haynes manual on the way but in the interim can anyone offer any advice on getting to the bulbs... aparrently to what i've been told by the guy at the parts desk its quite simple, although there is a danger of cracking the glass if one is not careful.

i could do with knowing what the bulbs are before i take it out, so i dont have to mess around too much removing it more than i absolutely have to. the bulbs that are knackered are the odometer, and the far right backlighter that does the bottom right corner of the illumination. the Tech spec doesnt define which goes where so they couldnt tell me straight at the dealership either.

Help Greatly appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Dbanbury, the cluster can sometimes be pushed out from the rear, or failing that one has to use the hooks to pull it out, done wrongly there is the danger of breaking the glass.

There are two types on bulb inside,, the main ones that light up the dials are 2.2watt,, the others are smaller.

Last edited:
D

doversole

W202 Instrument Cluster Bulb indentification and unit Removal.

Hello and Welcome,

This one is easy, done it myself and you can too.

The Haynes manual talks about removing the steering wheel and airbag - that's a load of toffee.

Extend the steering wheel fully out. You need to make up two hooks (pieces of wire coathanger will do) bend the last 5mm at right angles using pliers. Insert them (hooks up) at the bottom corners of the cluster, (about 10mm up, between the trim and cluster). Push in about 25mm or so and rotate inwards (LH clockwise, RH anti-clockwise) Now pull firmly and the whole cluster will come out.

Once out, there are two large plugs resembling scart connectors on the back. Unlatch these and remove the whole instrument cluster. The bulbs have flesh coloured caps and are removed with an 8mm socket (12v 5w, IIRC). It is worth getting half a dozen as they are cheap. Replace the failed bulbs along with any blackened ones and reassemble the connectors/latches.

Now simply push the whole thing back in - it will fit like a cork in a bottle. You will need to reset the clock.

Job done.:cool:

DoverSole

Last edited by a moderator:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I would also ensure not to turn the ignition on whilst any of the cluster plugs are removed as it "may" store a fault and require connection to "STAR" to clear.
Theres a worksheet illustrating the CLK cluster (C class w202 "very" similar).
The cluster can also be removed by pushing out from behind, but the lower dash trim has to be removed.

Attachments

• Removing and installing bulbs in instrument cluster - CLK 208.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,416
D

doversole

Hi,
I would also ensure not to turn the ignition on whilst any of the cluster plugs are removed...............

Good point, Andy - forgot that.

My method is tried and trusted, shown to me by a well known MBtech, btw.
15mins all up, piece of cake (unless the steering wheel doesn't extend that is).

DoverSole

D

doversole

You still have to dismantle the cluster to get the the instrument lamps,,the warning lamps are easy all along the bottom

That's as maybe Malcolm.

Mine was a 'dark patch' bottom RH, (which backlights the red sector on the Tacho).
Removed the 'duff bulb and replaced it without dismantling the cluster any further.

I'm sure our man will have no major trouble either way.

DoverSole

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's as maybe Malcolm.

Mine was a 'dark patch' bottom RH, (which backlights the red sector on the Tacho).
Removed the 'duff bulb and replaced it without dismantling the cluster any further.

I'm sure our man will have no major trouble either way.

DoverSole

I have removed that part from my post on dismantling, there are 3 types of cluster in use, the very first few had the bulbs inside for the instruments, the next 2 versions did not, and they are 10-94 on and 01-09-95 on.

Sorry about that

D

doversole

..............................Sorry about that

No need, Malcolm.

I just felt duty bound to advise on something I found completely painless,
repair-wise. Dbanbery's '202 is a '97, mine's a '99.

Once he has the cluster on the kitchen table all will be revealed.:cool:

Doversole

Christhemortgageman

Reaction score
Website
forums.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
2006 V6 w211 320cdi Avantgarde
Hi All,
I have an old 1994 w202 c280 sport 5speed manual. Lovely motor, but have bulbs gone on the instrument cluster & have been told I have to remove the steering will (with Airbag) to get the cluster out. Does any one out there know if that is correct, as I'd rather know before I start. I assume the bulbs that have been mentioned in this thread are the same as well. The other problem is the engine appears to die for a split second, causing a jolt each time changing up or down. I thought it might be a plug lead breaking down, but, it didn't show up on a test. Any ideas on that one would be greatly appreciated, it's not quite kangaroo petrol, but close, and the wife thinks it's my use of the clutch. It's not, as the mechanic has the same problem! It's most annoying when pulling on to a roundabout, praying it doesn't die when you've stuck your neck out.
Thank you in anticipation of your help out there. Chris

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If you have an adjustable steering it is much easier but there is no need to remove steering wheel.See... http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/instrument.html

Keep the keys in the ignition to assist in removal as you will need to turn the steering wheel to the left slightly, keep the ignition key in the OFF position while the clusters two rear plugs are disconnected otherwise the ASR, air bag light, will stay on all the time, requiring a reset on Star diagnostic machine.

Bulbs in picture link in post #7 should be same as yours but bring your VIN number (outside bottom of windscreen, passenger side) with you to dealer when getting new bulbs to be sure.

Sorry, can’t help with other question.

Dec

Christhemortgageman

Reaction score
Website
forums.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
2006 V6 w211 320cdi Avantgarde
Thank you very much Dec.
Unfortunately it's not an adjustable steering wheel, but, as you say, I should be able to jiggle it out by moving the wheel.
I think I'll wait until this dreadful weather has gone though.
Thanks once again,
chris

D

doversole

Thank you very much Dec.
Unfortunately it's not an adjustable steering wheel, but, as you say, I should be able to jiggle it out by moving the wheel.
I think I'll wait until this dreadful weather has gone though.
Thanks once again,
chris

Hi Chris and welcome,

See my earlier posts on this thread along with the other advice, you will tackle the job fine.

I spent a some time pondering the removal of the instrument cluster and was amazed how easy it was to remove after being shown.

Persevere and you'll get there, if it's not a big problem you're right to wait 'till it gets warmer though!!

DoverSole

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You lot are so weak,,get out there and do it, the car is sick, and cant help itself, you will all get better after a few days

D

doversole

You lot are so weak,,get out there and do it, the car is sick, and cant help itself, you will all get better after a few days

................Unless you have a heated garage facility like Malcolm, that is!

DoverSole

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
................Unless you have a heated garage facility like Malcolm, that is!

DoverSole

My garage is so small that I can just open a door to get in and nothing else.

I was talking to my brother last week about the way we laid under our car when we were 20ish in the freezing cold to the early hours of the morning, cant do that now:(

Quickbrit

Reaction score
Website
www.2wf.com
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class 250 CDI Cab
I too have a couple of bulbs out in my clock cluster.

I followed Doversole's excellent instructions using a cut up coat hanger - actually I tried it twice with two different thickness of hangers but I couldn't get it to budge.

It seems tighter than a frogs backside and I don't want to damage or mark the interior in any way...

So... is it easier to undo the bottom cover and push them out rather than pulling?

Will that under steering wheel cover (above my pedals) give me the access I need?

Thanks in advance,
MikeE

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Take the under cover off and give it a go, they´can stick, try to push it in,before pushing out to try and break it lose

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
My garage is so small that I can just open a door to get in and nothing else.

I was talking to my brother last week about the way we laid under our car when we were 20ish in the freezing cold to the early hours of the morning, cant do that now:(

Youth to age wisdom Malcom, I think we have all done that in our time, and like you, alot of us, do not want to do that again, albeit, but all look back with fondness of those times, memories! those good old days! thank god for garage servicing.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Youth to age wisdom Malcom, I think we have all done that in our time, and like you, alot of us, do not want to do that again, albeit, but all look back with fondness of those times, memories! those good old days! thank god for garage servicing.

I agree 100% with you these days :D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom