W202 Instrument Cluster Bulb indentification and unit Removal

KOMPRESSIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C230K , 2006 E320cdi
Hi Dec,

I lifted the fuse box and made sure all wires were pushed fully home on the other side - everything seemed Ok. (But the fault still exists, but just noticed last time I tried it that the full-beam 'flash' light works - when you pull the stalk to 'flash' your lights). I think I'll check a few more 'feeds' to the cluser before being 100% sure it is the cluster pcb that's at fault.

This has been a nightmare to try and solve, I've owned 9 or 10 cars and never had anything like this go wrong. I'm fed up - spent most of the weekend on it, so I think I'll leave it for now and have a think about it tonight.

Where I am at the moment = I'm not 100% convinced it is the cluster PCB (probably 60%) and the other 40% I think it could be 'supply' related, but it is difficult to test due to not being able to turn the ignition on with the PCB removed (due to airbag light would need re-set). Perhaps you are right - I'll think about the diagnostics option.

Thanks for all your advice Dec I would never have got the cluster removed from the car or even got checked what I did without your help.

I'll study the wiring diagrams tonight again (helps me get to sleep) to see if I can think of anything.

Thanks again Dec,
Kompressit

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Sorry we couldn’t crack the problem, get it diagnosed, it’s not worth all the hassle.
The problem could also be at the wiring at the ignition switch as well, that is where it all starts from, when you turn the key…that’s just speculation so don’t be taking any more of the car apart.

Dec

KOMPRESSIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C230K , 2006 E320cdi
Hi Dec,

After having another go at checking whhat I could, I decided to buy a 'used' cluster from a breakers yard. A breaker's yard 20miles from me had one in a car same age as mine - for £35. I thought for the sake of £35 worth a try. I connected it up switched the ignition on and everything worked OK. So it was my cluster that was the fault.

The only issue now is the mileage on the replacement is 145K, mine was 98K. At least I know what the cause was and I now have two options 1) Get mine repaired 2) Get mileage on the replacement adjusted.

I have seen a company in Glasgow advertising 'mileage correction' - but what is involved? do they remove the cluster and work with it or do they plug into somewhere on the car - anyone any experience of this?

Thanks.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Having the replacement “clocked” would seem the easier solution, I don’t know what is involved in that, or the cost, someone may be able to enlighten us?

Keep the original cluster if you go for clocking, that way you will be able to explain yourself in the event of a resale of the car, just to be on the safe side.

Glad you eventually found what was at fault.

Dec

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
hmm.

i would go on to discuss how you transfer the odometer module or whatever records the mileage, but i can see this being something not to broadcast on the forum. probably better kept to PMs i would have thought

davoC220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C220 diesel elegance
as far as i know, if u have the origional unit it can be done legally, but has 2 be verified, not sure how u do it tho, think i know the company u mean in glasow, would be very weary mate!

baccara

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 AUTO 1994 L and C180 auto elegance P REG
I have been reading all these threads for a while regarding the removal of the instrument cluster in my C180 which does not have an adjustable steering column. Today I have done the job and found that once the airbag is removed ( dont be afraid of this , its easy ) then removal of the cluster is easily possible WITHOUT removing the steering wheel. Simply pull the cluster out far enough to remove the 2 multipin connectors then pull it forward and upward and slide it out complete towards your left hand side (RHD models).

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
I have been reading all these threads for a while regarding the removal of the instrument cluster in my C180 which does not have an adjustable steering column. Today I have done the job and found that once the airbag is removed ( dont be afraid of this , its easy ) then removal of the cluster is easily possible WITHOUT removing the steering wheel. Simply pull the cluster out far enough to remove the 2 multipin connectors then pull it forward and upward and slide it out complete towards your left hand side (RHD models).

you can do it without removing the airbag if you are a bit clever with moving it around. i think having small doll-like hands helps... but if you have taken the airbag out and you have the allen fitting for the steering wheel you might as well.... you cant put it back on wrong anyways.

baccara

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 AUTO 1994 L and C180 auto elegance P REG
easy instrument cluster removal

I have found today that you can in fact remove the cluster without removing the airbag or the steering wheel. Just get the cluster loose (ignition off) as described in previous threads and disconnect both multipins before sliding the cluster out as I described earlier. The steering wheel needs to be in the straight ahead position. I realised this was possible as I had to replace a few bulbs in the cluster I fitted only yesterday and could not be bothered to remove the airbag again . Its easy now, and it cured my problem regarding the speedo not working etc. I did get the mileage shown on the exchange speedo though, but luckily it was only a few thou more than my original mileage.

antpurley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c230 auto estate 1996
Must be my lucky day

My odometer light had failed so using the method proposed in post 45 by kris.k2010 I got the cluster out.Hey presto thye jolt when getting the cluster out seems to have knocked what must have been a loose connection back:p
If anyone has to remove the cluster i would recommend this way as it took a couple of minutes.
Thanks all.

canery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 94 m111
hi there, i know it's been two years since last post :)
but i need your help. I write from Turkey.

I own 94 c180.
and instrument cluster sometimes doesn't work.
so I removed it based on this entry, everything worked fine.
I am attaching logic board's photos, ı am looking for v2-2s diode.(first pic, you can see it is burned up
but when i searched for it nothing came up.
what are the specs of this diode? any contribution is appreciated.
also 10v 1000mf capacitor needs to be replaced
qm6r.jpg

v9jj.jpg

w54g.jpg

ps i did not resize it so you could see what was the problem.
http://imageshack.us/a/img694/6476/qm6r.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/3646/v9jj.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img829/9458/w54g.jpg

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
i have absolutely no idea. cant you buy another instrument cluster relatively cheaply?

canery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 94 m111
i have absolutely no idea. cant you buy another instrument cluster relatively cheaply?

of course I could :) If I had money though.
I am a student. I dont have even a penny to "waste". as long as i can fix it.
thanks for your reply

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The problem is what has caused the diode to fail,,, has it failed, have you measured to both ways. Another diode of the same size and about 5 amps should do just fine, that other semiconductor could be the result of that diode if it is short circuit

canery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 94 m111
The problem is what has caused the diode to fail,,, has it failed, have you measured to both ways. Another diode of the same size and about 5 amps should do just fine, that other semiconductor could be the result of that diode if it is short circuit

yes i measured it. and both ways it is 0.
so can I order it online from a store?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is dead then :D there is nothing in the cluster that pull more than 5 amp that I can think of, do lift it and measure the resistance to ground from the solder pad

canery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 94 m111
That is dead then :D there is nothing in the cluster that pull more than 5 amp that I can think of, do lift it and measure the resistance to ground from the solder pad

okay okay baby steps. My major is computers -sw
not electronic.
so i have tested other same diodes it is like 0.590 and you sat them 5Amps.
what about voltage? I know i cannot find the same one.
So when I go to electronic parts shop what should I say?

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
of course I could :) If I had money though.
I am a student. I dont have even a penny to "waste". as long as i can fix it.
thanks for your reply

i would say then trying to find a junk cluster that would otherwise be thrown away would be an idea. aside from that i'm not much help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
okay okay baby steps. My major is computers -sw
not electronic.
so i have tested other same diodes it is like 0.590 and you sat them 5Amps.
what about voltage? I know i cannot find the same one.
So when I go to electronic parts shop what should I say?

The voltage does not matter as all will be far in excess of what you need

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom