W202 insurance for a brand new driver

tvararu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240/02/M112
Hello! I'm new here, I did a search but only found two threads on this without much information.

What would my best option be for insuring a W202/C200 considering I'm 25 but have only had a full license since the 25th of July? (so less than a week)

I've spent all weekend plugging numbers into confused and the like. My quotes have been all over the place depending on whether I'm logged in/incognito. At one point I did get £1350 which seemed like a good deal given my situation, but generally it hovers around £2000-3000.

Thanks!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Without experience, you are in the unfortunate position of all new drivers. Your age is giving you a slight reduction in premium, but other factors such as postcode will affect what you will eventually pay.

It can reduce your premium a lot by adding a qualified and experienced driver such as a parent and parking on a driveway, but I'm afraid you are stuck with a big premium until you gain experience and some NCD. I'd say £1350 for a new driver in a W202 isn't bad.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Without experience, you are in the unfortunate position of all new drivers. Your age is giving you a slight reduction in premium, but other factors such as postcode will affect what you will eventually pay.

It can reduce your premium a lot by adding a qualified and experienced driver such as a parent and parking on a driveway, but I'm afraid you are stuck with a big premium until you gain experience and some NCD. I'd say £1350 for a new driver in a W202 isn't bad.

^^^^ what he said. Emily put her mum on her insurance and it made a huge difference.
As above ... £1350 isn't that bad, young lads at work have paid £3000+ for Also Ran Astras & Focus

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Yes, the car won’t be in the lowest of insurance categories, due to possible costs to repair (as it’s a Merc)

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Great if you can get it but I'd be amazed if the £1350 price held if clicked through to buy... it is so rare for one quote to be a mile better than the rest. A very low quote often jumps up for no reason that you can see when you click to buy and then if you back to comparison quote page it may have evaporated. My daughters are 21 and 23 so I'm very used to helping them through the Go Compare and Meerkat sites.

You are lucky being over 25 as that helps a great deal even though your full licence is only recent. My daughters started out at 19 paying £1500 on Polo/Jazz size cars.

There is no reasoning in insurance though as the 23yr old has just paid £600 for a 1.2 Citroen... and the 21yr old only £400 for a 1.2 Jazz. And last month 23yr old briefly had a Volvo 2.0TD Coupe which was only £50 more a year than the 1.2 Citroen... I thought it would be double.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
What really amazed me with Emily's car insurance was how much insurance companies were charging for paying over 12 months. I'd expect to pay more than the yearly premium but one company want virtually double to pay in instalments .... as it was, Emily did have the money to pay it in one go.

OP
tvararu

tvararu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240/02/M112
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Ended up buying a different car, a W210 E240 that I'll be posting about shortly, and I insured it for £1750 with Admiral, which I'm happy with. First year's more rough on insurance but this car is worth it.

For what it's worth, I called Chris Knott but they couldn't do anything for me as I need 2 years NCB minimum. They recommended I try a different company which I wrote down but have since misplaced the note, but I think it's Lancaster Insurance.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom