W202 potential purchase, sill covers query?

PB53CLS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 CLS350 CDI Grand Edition
Tried to pm,but no joy.Tell me how!!!!!!

OP
Parisien

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
Click on your inbox icon, you will see our "conversation"!

P

OP
Parisien

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So, this is it......

1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, only 95K miles, lots of invoices from MD Mercedes , Robinsons of Norwich, spent all its life locally, the people I bought it off knew the previous owner plus knew the car locally too.

I bought it over the phone, sight unseen, spoke at length to seller, described in advert as "excellent car, drives superb"!

Whats a guy to think? I asked all the relevant questions, all answered in the positive, it looked very well in the photos plus re-assurances that everything worked, all paperwork etc to hand I felt fairly confident in sending a deposit.

Reality bites...hhhmmm......."no rust/corrosion", well there is a bit on each wing, not too bad to be honest, plus a little on tailgate, but overall pretty sound. Boot floor good, doors perfect, perfect bonnet and roof, and I quite like the colour! A little scrap on rear passenger side wing too.

"Everything works"....well not quite, none of the windows nor wing mirrors did! The radio is a non-original, works less than brilliantly TBH.

"Drives superb", well the test drive was pretty short, it has plenty of oooommmppph, gearbox felt slick, smooth, but it was only on 130 mile drive back to Birmingham I realised on braking that the front discs appeared to be warped from the feel on braking....ie uneven, cyclical. Plus a little rattle off front over sharp edges.

Tyres pretty new Avons/Goodyear, alloys good too.

Plus when I got back and hoovered out car, felt very damp in passenger footwell.

Unfortunately only one key and no handbooks.

So work list and any suggestions welcomed from the forum afficianados!

1. Investigate windows/mirrors, is it merely a fuse, relay or?
2. Replace front discs and pads.
3. Dampness cause, heater matrix or windscreen seal, blocked drain?
4. Obtain 2nd key, only MD or can I re-programme a 2ndhand key?
5. Pondering whether or not to do too much to fettle rusty edges, forums thoughts?
6. Obtain original radio/cassette or go with a modern/CD/auxiliary input type replacement?
7. Investigate front rattle, lower ball joints, bushes or tie rods?
8. Replace tired rear No plate!!

All thoughts, suggestion and help greatly appreciated more pics to follow.

P

Attachments

• 2017-09-19 17.00.33.jpg
    2017-09-19 17.00.33.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OP
Parisien

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few more.

Attachments

• Dereham merc b.JPG
    Dereham merc b.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 4
  • dereham merc c.JPG
    dereham merc c.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Dereham merc.JPG
    Dereham merc.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Dereham merc e.JPG
    Dereham merc e.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 5

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So, this is it......

So work list and any suggestions welcomed from the forum afficianados!

1. Investigate windows/mirrors, is it merely a fuse, relay or? - Good place to start
2. Replace front discs and pads.
4. Obtain 2nd key, only MD or can I re-programme a 2ndhand key? - RMK or Mercedes only. Second hand keys are junk.
5. Pondering whether or not to do too much to fettle rusty edges, forums thoughts? - If you don't it'll spread.
6. Obtain original radio/cassette or go with a modern/CD/auxiliary input type replacement? - Personal choice with respect to trade on if originality vs features. Continental do some interesting modern featured retro styled radios to preserve both.
7. Investigate front rattle, lower ball joints, bushes or tie rods? - Drop links would be a good place to look. Also ball joints.
8. Replace tired rear No plate!! - Personal choice but I like the pressed metal ones.

All thoughts, suggestion and help greatly appreciated more pics to follow.

P

Answers inline in red.

Here is an example of the Conti radio:
29927542-613-639x237.jpg

OP
Parisien

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the steer and suggestions Lostkiwi, as regards brakes, are OEMs from Mercedes decent value or are Eurocarparts Eicher discs/pads up to the job, or go slightly better Brembo/ Bosch?

P

OP
Parisien

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1. Investigate windows/mirrors, is it merely a fuse, relay or? - Good place to start....Not got a handbook, anyone know which relay/fuse to swop out?
2. Replace front discs and pads.....as in post above.
4. Obtain 2nd key, only MD or can I re-programme a 2ndhand key? - RMK or Mercedes only. Second hand keys are junk. ...RMK link ?
5. Pondering whether or not to do too much to fettle rusty edges, forums thoughts? - If you don't it'll spread.
6. Obtain original radio/cassette or go with a modern/CD/auxiliary input type replacement? - Personal choice with respect to trade on if originality vs features. Continental do some interesting modern featured retro styled radios to preserve both.
7. Investigate front rattle, lower ball joints, bushes or tie rods? - Drop links would be a good place to look. Also ball joints.
8. Replace tired rear No plate!! - Personal choice but I like the pressed metal ones.

Again for this C Class are people ok with Eurocarparts, or are OEM always way to go?

P

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom