W202 strand spark plug issue

bogey10

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W202 c220 auto
C220 petrol auto. Cleaned engine today. Was very economical with the water from hose as not to saturate the electrics. Started engine after washing and it ran perfectly. Then after about 3 min of running the engine developed a missfire. Opened cover on tappet cover to check for water on plug leads and noticed on 2 of the 4 plug leads the spark plug cap and electrode going into the plug from the top came away with the plug lead when removing. On the other 2 cylinders spark plug cap and electrode remained in place attached to the plug. Would this cause the missfire, and do plugs need replacing?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Any pics of what you're seeing as I'm not quite sure what you mean?

OP
B

bogey10

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W202 c220 auto
Sorry firstly thread should read 'Strange spark plug issue'. I am not able to post pics so I will try explain.
Looking at the spark plug, on the top is the terminal (will here the plug lead connects to the spark plug) which is a metal cap that screws onto the electrode that runs down through the plug and out the bottom where you set the gap. When I pulled off the plug lead attached to spark plug, the terminal and about half the electrode came away still in the plug lead meaning the electrode has broken off inside the plug about half way down in the insulation somewhere.
This happened when removing 2 of the 4 plug leads. Previously the car was running fine except for a low idle speed.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Would a spark plug with the top half broken off cause a missfire? I guess there is a possibility.
Should you replace them? It could be worth a try.
No decent brand should break just by pulling the cap off.
Did you spray water onto a hot engine?
If not it's most likely fake junk has been fitted.

OP
B

bogey10

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W202 c220 auto
Would a spark plug with the top half broken off cause a missfire? I guess there is a possibility.
Should you replace them? It could be worth a try.
No decent brand should break just by pulling the cap off.
Did you spray water onto a hot engine?
If not it's most likely fake junk has been fitted.
LJ the plug is not broken. The 'wire' that runs through the centre of the plug from the electrode at the bottom where you set the gap to the top of the plug where the plug lead fits has broken off inside the plug itsself. So when pulling the plug lead off part of the electrode wire is pulling out of the plug. Plug lead still seems to back on ok. But engine is running very rough on what sounds like 2 or 3 cylinders at low revs and idle rpm is all over the place when in gear and or aircon on. I dont know if this has been caused from washing engine or plug issue but straight after washing engine ran perfectly then after a few minutes missfire started and been ever since.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
For the price of a set of plugs just change them to be sure.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
LJ the plug is not broken. The 'wire' that runs through the centre of the plug from the electrode at the bottom where you set the gap to the top of the plug where the plug lead fits has broken off inside the plug itsself.

You can't replace the spark plugs internal 'wire', it's part of the spark plug.
I wouldn't even be trying to run it with a broken plug (and you are describing a broken plug despite saying its not broken). The loose electrode could fall into the cylinder. This has been known to happen with some fake plugs, don't rely on the ground electrode stopping it from dropping into the cylinder.
Change all plugs as Frosty said, then decide if you need leads too.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Don't buy FleaBay cheapies, I think OEM are Bosch, but a well known brand should be selected.

OP
B

bogey10

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W202 c220 auto
Thanks guys for all the input. I will do a plug change and then report back.

OP
B

bogey10

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W202 c220 auto
Done plug change and car is back running normally. Did diagnostics and all ok. Wiring harness is not looking good however so going have to bite the bullet and get this done soon.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom