W203 2004 - 2007 Which to buy

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
Exactly- and the Op wanted petrol anyway... albeit I’d agree with Steve the V6 Diesel is a far better option in this case

I went for the w203 C270CDi for that same reason, balance of fun/economy/reliability. It could do with a bit more poke (320 *sigh*) but as a top trim level it is very comfortable (heated seats, command et al) and has enough get-up-and-go to keep things interesting. Mine is a 2002 though and there are problem areas, nursing it through them with ease though. Given all the diesel demonisation happening, an impending additional city diesel tax and diesel fuel duty hike, sticking with a petrol may be wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I went for the w203 C270CDi for that same reason, balance of fun/economy/reliability. It could do with a bit more poke (320 *sigh*) but as a top trim level it is very comfortable (heated seats, command et al) and has enough get-up-and-go to keep things interesting. Mine is a 2002 though and there are problem areas, nursing it through them with ease though. Given all the diesel demonisation happening, an impending additional city diesel tax and diesel fuel duty hike, sticking with a petrol may be wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed- must admit I always had a soft spot for the 270, any I drove seemed to be like space rockets! (In fact the first Mercedes I drove was a C270Cdi c2005 loaned to me by the insurance after someone ploughed into the back of my Volvo S60....I was extremely reluctant to give it back after the month of Volvo repairs!!)
The Petrol/Diesel argument will rage on but Diesel’s demise is certainly on the cards at some point

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Thats the problem with petrol, its either the 271 or 272 engine, I would have neither!

Im fed up with the petrol/diesel debate. I understand it, but its not all negative and I wish the government would stop their scaremongering. There will be millions of diesels on the road for years to come yet. Including lorries.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor 2001
My budget would be up to £3000, my current Merc and my previous one a W202 C230 Kompressor were both manual, I would prefer silver and full leather and air conditioning, happy to consider any. My C230 was written off on the M62 by a chap coming back from Manchester Airport, my current W203 C200 Kompressor 2001 was an emergency purchase which I got for £2500. it had not been lucked after and I have spent a lot of money on it, the rust on the majority of the panels is making me consider another car, thanks.

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
my car could be for sale.

W203, late 2004, C200 CDI, FSH (some MB, some private). Silver. 153000 miles. runs lovely. not a rust box.

I have all the parts to service it at home, oil, filters etc. just recently had brake fluid, gearbox fluid and rear axle fluid changed 1500 miles ago at PCS in Horndean Hants.

if interested, then message me and I could send some pictures and a price.

Alan

NatT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS500
Im fed up with the petrol/diesel debate. I understand it, but its not all negative and I wish the government would stop their scaremongering. There will be millions of diesels on the road for years to come yet. Including lorries.

I'm glad you wrote that as I've just a deposit down on a derv :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor 2001
I have found the following car, can I get your thoughts. C180 Kompressor Avantgarde SE 2005, full leather, 82,789 miles, one owner from new, 9 stamps in service book not sure if main dealer, looks in excellent condition, dealer is wanting £2695, Thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Has the aforementioned 271 engine though which is prone to stretched chain issues. If you do look at at, see if you can get any evidence of change...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor 2001
Thanks John, did Mercedes replace the timing chains under warranty or was it down to the customer. I read somewhere you can apply to Mercedes for a build spec and any history on one of there cars, I can't find that thread now. My current C200 Kompressor 2001 has a red spark plug cover which I presume is the 111 engine, this has nearly done 198,000 miles, I've owned it since 105,000, thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Richard
It was down to the customer unfortunately - not sure on the history question at that age? It might have to be physical paper evidence

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom