W203 220cdi limp mode and noise

charlie g

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 220cdi sport
Hi Guys, Total newbie here and hoping you excellent people can put me in the right direction.
My 2002 220cdi has developed a problem almost overnight and to be honest it's ripping my knitting.
It starts great but there is a weird noise when the turbo boosts up that appears to be coming from the front passenger side . It then goes into " limp mode " and I struggle to get it above 60mph and it limits to 2000rpm.
A mate who dabbles with cars had a look and after plugging it into his reader said that there was no reading coming from the MAF sensor. I bought a new one and fitted it. There is no fault code now for the MAF but the problem persists.
He thinks maybe the inlet manifold is goosed , we have looked for maybe a leaking pipe but to no avail .
I am going to take the beast to a local place to have a smoke test done on it before I possibly buy a manifold it does not need.
Another thing it started doing was that when sitting at a junction waiting with my foot on the brake and car in drive you could feel strong vibration coming through the pedal, this was a new symptom.
Do these ring any bells with you nice people as I know bugger all about Mercs or diesels ?
Any advice would be greatfully received .. Many Thanks

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Noise on boost then limp mode, almost certain to be split intercooler hose. Can be hard to spot as the split only opens on boost and looks OK at rest. Vibration through brake pedal sounds normal to me, if you feel it is excessive, do a search for Valeo radiator issue.

Russ

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I'll probably be the big hose leading downwards from the turbo to the intercooler. Just unclip the ends and wrestle it to the ground from under the car. It goes through the chassis, so it's a bit of a pig to get in and out. Allow an tire afternoon to replace it if you've not done one before.

OP
C

charlie g

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 220cdi sport
Thanks guys.. just had a smoke test carried out and woe is me there is a leak from the inlet manifold. May be just a gasket or the manifold has a crack in it.. either way it's gonna cost me for labour.. ah well life goes on eh.. just gonna go away now and sit sulking in sulky corner like a great big sulky thing

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
If the manifold's coming off, take the opportunity to clean it out, plus the associated pipework and the egr valve. And remove the swirl flaps while you're at it.

You know it makes sense! And they'll all be full of dirty regurgitated crud.

Top Bottom