1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W203 C220 Auto Box issue, easy change

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ThPadd, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ThPadd

ThPadd Member

Okay guys I have been hunting online for the answer to this, but not found the answers, so any relevant experience appreciated.

I have had my 06 C220 for a couple of years now and after sorting out various issues (track rod arm, front discs, tyres, unlocking), I now have just 2 niggles that stop me loving this car to bits (its the Avantgarde, black on black, 5 spoke alloys).

Firstly when cold, and po0tling down to the end of our road at 30mph (usually on cruise as it gives me time to find the right radio station, get my satnav set etc), the revs rise and fall slightly. Car checks out fine at my local indie (Prospect Solihull), but by the time I get it to them its always warmed up. Not the end of the world but just a bit annoying.

However the gearbox is a right pain in the bum. When its cold, you pull off gently, get to the end of the road and then have to pull out into traffic. You pull off and its like nothing is happening then all of a sudden it either engages gear with a jolt or kicks down, I'm not sure. Its a bit scary waiting for it to happen with traffic bearing down on you and probably not doing the gearbox much good! This is in C mode (Comfort?) which I prefer as I'm not a fan of S (Sport?) mode, its a bit boy racer for me. Once warm its fine.

I took it to Driver Transmissions in Birmingham (recommended by Prospect) and of course by the time I got there the gearbox was warm and it drove perfectly!!

I have had the gearbox oil changed and have bought a dipstick so I know the level is fine, So I was wondering how hard a swap out would be. I may even get one and get Prospect to do the work as they have the lift etc. to make this easier. I can get a gearbox from a breaker for £2-300.

Any thoughts or advice??

Padd

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Andy Rudge is your man for this.... he did his CLK box twice!
    I helped last time and it wasn't too difficult (but we had the benefit of a hoist).
    Most of the work is under the car.
    Essentially the process is:
    1. Disconnect battery and drain oil from transmission
    2. Remove starter motor.
    3. Undo torque convertor from flywheel.
    4. Undo propshaft couplings (You'll need to remove rear gearbox mount but refit loosely when done)
    5. Undo selector lever clip.
    6. Remove wiring harness connector
    7. Remove dipstick tube.
    8. Undo bell housing bolts (leave one in place underneath to support box till ready to remove).
    9. Support back of engine (block of wood across the back of engine and sitting on front arms works well).
    10. Undo rear gearbox mount and remaining bel housing bolt and lower gearbox and TC as a unit.

The gearbox is HEAVY. You will almost certainly require assistance to control it coming out

Reassembly is the reverse of assembly with the following caveat:
    The TC MUST be fully engaged on the oil pump on the gearbox BEFORE assembling gearbox into car. Measure the distance from TC face to a straight edge across the bell housing. It should be at least 6mm. Failure to do this will destroy your oil pump in the gearbox and make for a LOT more work.

Also.... make sure the gearbox is exactly the same. Get the numbers off the side (it will be something like 722.616). These number MUST be the same .
    There are various different versions of the 722 gearbox and these have different characteristics and torque handling capabilities.

3. Arzaam

Arzaam Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 2002 c180
    to be honest if it only does it when cold its considered normal, I have seen a couple cars do it its to help the engine warm up faster but if you just started it and get going and try to go uphill or merge than the shift is harsh but still I wouldn't consider it a fault if it doesn't do it when warm or go into limp mode requiring a restart of the engine. Mine also does this since years and dealership also checked it and considered it normal and I drove two other cars which would do the same all 722.6 boxes.

4. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    What i happening is that 'C' mode will by default try to start in second gear. If you put your foot down hard it will start trying to move off in second and then downshift to first hence the delay and sudden clunk as it kicks down. Kickdown when cold is always a bit jerky as the internal oil pressures are all over the place.
    Try it in 'S' mode next time. It should pick up more smoothly and rapidly. If so then there is nothing wrong with your gearbox.

5. OP
    ThPadd

ThPadd Member

I tried Street mode at lunah. Still seems to jolt I think from 1 to 2. A recon box is a lot of money so I may risk a box from a breaker It is annoying.

6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    These boxes can be a little jerky when cold. It's just a matter of degree.

Arzaam likes this.