W203 (Coupe) Boot / trunk won't open - Help needed

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
Hi guys,

I cannot open the boot/trunk on my late 2003 C200 Coupe. Every time I try to open it by hand, there seems to be no response and I can't remember whether it is supposed to make some electric whirring noise or not when you use the handle. Assuming it is supposed to make this noise, which I cannot hear, I am guessing it has something to do with the electrics/motor?

The only way I have managed to open the boot is through the inside by pulling the seats down and using the small red emergency boot opener from inside the boot to release the latch. My car does not have the open-trunk-from-key button and I could not see a keyhole outside to open the boot using the emergency key. So the only way to open the boot is via the handle on the outside which I am assuming is electric.

Is there a fuse or something that needs replacing? This is my first car, so I'd appreciate any help/advice in as non-technical terms as possible. :D

Would really appreciate any help/advice. I can also send any pictures if you ever need.

Thank you ;)

Car: 2003 C200 Kompressor, Coupe, 1.8L, Petrol, Manual

Last edited:
OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
**Bump** still looking for some help with this :(

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
I don`t know if this will be of any help, but I had a 51 plate W203 C270 estate and the same thing happened. When I got to the bottom of the problem I found the handle on the back door pressed a micro switch that operated the electric lock mechanism In my case the handle, that was made of a pig alloy, had a short lever that made contact with the switch and this lever had broken off completely. Your car is different to the one I had so yours I guess may be different or it might be similar. Hope this might help.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Yes you have the same set up as above. You need to get the car on star to test.
This could be anything from a failed microswitch to a blown rear Sam unit

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom