W203 wind noise after new wing mirror, glass and re-fitted door

faa77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K
-Had accident, outer door/skin, glass and wing mirror were replaced.
-Could hear wind noise at 70mph+ and became apparent the door wasn't fitted properly
-Passenger side door absolute silence
-Outer door/skin and seal has been refitted- looks fine now.
-Still got the wind noise, albeit not as bad (it couldn't have got worse given the original repair)

The repair is no longer under warranty

I originally had a lot of problems getting the door aligned correctly. Eventually it was aligned properly, but by this I mean in terms of visual correctness. I am not sure if there is still some minor misalignment causing the problem (I assume there is a very small tolerance for fitting correctly otherwise you get the wind noise).

How can I locate the source of the problem further? I was going to purchase a digital sound meter and try establish exactly where the noise is. It seems to be located towards the wing mirror but I **think** there was also noise in the middle of the window.

One thing I never originally considered is the replaced glass might be too thin and it's not sealing.

The outer door seal seems to be well-fit down the A pillar.

I also read sometimes this problem is caused by the wing mirror not being fit correctly.

I assume I will also have to try the masking tape trick and see if that makes a difference?

Are there any photos I could take to help the forum make suggestions?

Any help greatly appreciated.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Try cleaning the window rubbers with a silicon spray like Gummi Pfledge or Lidl's own. Softening the rubber might improve the seal. Be sure to do the inside tracks, use a microfibre cloth wrapped around a cheap thin plastic ruler or your wife's favourite palette knife.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Check to make sure the window closes evenly within the frame and isn't maladjusted. You could try using s short length of tape over the gap between door and body or frame and window then see if the noise is gone. Move the tape around the door and when the wind noise stops you've found the leak.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom