W204 350 CDI ABS, EPS, ESC problem

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Afternoon All,

I'm new here, and have also bought my first Merc recently.

So, I got my 2009 C350 CDI about 2 weeks ago, under a private sale.

Gorgeous car, and exactly what you'd expect of a Mercedes, with most of the bells and whistles ticked.

When buying, me and my brother did our due diligence and checked all of the important stuff. The car came with full Merc service history and currently sits below 61k miles, so effectively, it's only just been run in, being a OM642 motor.

On Sunday (10th March), I got into my car, let it warm up, and started my journey. Within 30 metres of driving or reaching about 20mph, my dashboard lit up with like a Christmas tree. The warnings told me that power steering, ABS, stability control and TPMS is inoperable.

So, I did what every normal person would do, turn it off and on again, this resets the system, giving me back power steering etc for the first few metres of acceleration, then ping up again and shut down.

I'm no mechanic, just mechanically savvy, the fact the system is completely operable at low speeds tells me, this is not a problem with a pump or actual ABS module. My guess would be, this is a sensor issue, of which, there are ****** loads of them.

I've tried the reversing trick, which has worked for some. I've tried turning the wheel lock-to-lock, which has also worked for some. Both of which, have been disappointing attempts in my case.

My question is, has anyone else had this issue? I've heard this is very common issue, but I have not come across a definitive answer as to what sensor is causing this issue.

I am fairly confident this is a wheel speed, wheel angle or yaw sensor throwing a hissy fit, but again, I've had no definitive advice on forums.

Any knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

Certainly an unusual fault as a start in finding the cause have you checked the voltage on the main battery it should be circa 12.6V and that the alternator is charging the battery at 14.8V if the battery is old I’d change it MBs don’t like low voltage and can throw all sorts of spurious warnings and start to close down ancillaries when the battery is failing

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Welcome!

Certainly an unusual fault as a start in finding the cause have you checked the voltage on the main battery it should be circa 12.6V and that the alternator is charging the battery at 14.8V if the battery is old I’d change it MBs don’t like low voltage and can throw all sorts of spurious warnings and start to close down ancillaries when the battery is failing
Brilliant, thank you and thank you for your welcome, I shall get a hold of a multimeter and give it a go. I know the OBD port is reading around 13-14 volts using my basic code reader, but maybe that's what the alternator is putting out?

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Hi and welcome :)

Any fault codes showing? - or haven't you got that far yet?
Thank you!

I only have a very basic code reader, which I guess, is the first issue haha.

No codes reading on my code reader. I'm not sure if my code reader only reads engine ECU data? I know the MBs can be difficult to read with less than ideal equipment (anything that isn't a MB STAR computer hahah).

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thank you!

I only have a very basic code reader, which I guess, is the first issue haha.

No codes reading on my code reader. I'm not sure if my code reader only reads engine ECU data? I know the MBs can be difficult to read with less than ideal equipment (anything that isn't a MB STAR computer hahah).

ICarsoft MB2 or 3 and CR PRO are the main affordable readers most use on here UK Parts Direct are UK agents give them a ring and discuss the problem they’ll steer you towards the right diagnostic reader, I’ve found them very helpful, I use CR PRO it covers multiple marques.

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
ICarsoft MB2 or 3 and CR PRO are the main affordable readers most use on here UK Parts Direct are UK agents give them a ring and discuss the problem they’ll steer you towards the right diagnostic reader, I’ve found them very helpful, I use CR PRO it covers multiple marques.
Just had a look, £126 for a full Merc Icarsoft V2 code reader isn't bad at all, thanks for that! Looking to keep the Merc for a while, so that'll come in hand and definitely worth the investment! I've contacted a friend with a heavy duty code reader, I shall get them to read the code tonight, but a V2 will be on my shopping list after I get paid next month haha. Much appreciated!

Do you know if the V2 resets service lights, 'check brake' lights etc?

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Morning all,

This matter has now been resolved (Thank f*ck)!

I believe the sensor had a hissy fit Sunday due to either water getting on the sensor or lack of power to the module, due to start up; these codes will have been stored in the module and kept coming up until they were cleared.

I managed to get the system re-set and fault codes cleared by a friend with a hand-held scanner (not one of the cheap ones, like I own).

Thanks for you help and input @dry run & @malcolm E53 AMG - I will definitely invest in a Icarsoft system ASAP for any future Christmas tree light events.

On a more positive note, I had 3 days without power steering, which means, I'm now suddenly built like a brick sh*thouse (cute selfie below).

1710319118468.png

Cheers,

Jack

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom