W204 headlight aim driving abroad.

fifthwheel

Reaction score
Hi all, cant seem to get any info from the owners book. Early 2010 w204 c180 petrol. My local dealer thought they would adjust by using the lever behind the light. I could tell he wasn't sure and just wanted rid of me as I wasn't spending any money with them. I haven't been able to find the lever and my lenses are plain so cant see where to put the insulation tape like we used to do on the old cars. The bulbs look bog standard halogen, do I leave them as they are and drive with the cabin adjuster at the lowest? thanks john.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
do I leave them as they are and drive with the cabin adjuster at the lowest? thanks john.

That's what I do with my W(C)203 Estate. It's never caused me any problems. That said, if I even ever drive in the dark when abroad, it is only for relatively short journeys, with little 'opposing' traffic.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
That's what I do with my W(C)203 Estate. It's never caused me any problems. That said, if I even ever drive in the dark when abroad, it is only for relatively short journeys, with little 'opposing' traffic.
Same for me in my C207. Never drive at night and have never been flashed by an oncoming driver in daylight during rain or in various single lane tunnels (eg Frejus, Gotthard etc)

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I have a midnight ferry booked so will be driving at night, I thought it would be quieter and cheaper (Yorkshire tight) at that time and I would get a few miles under my belt before breakfast.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi all, cant seem to get any info from the owners book. Early 2010 w204 c180 petrol. My local dealer thought they would adjust by using the lever behind the light. I could tell he wasn't sure and just wanted rid of me as I wasn't spending any money with them. I haven't been able to find the lever and my lenses are plain so cant see where to put the insulation tape like we used to do on the old cars. The bulbs look bog standard halogen, do I leave them as they are and drive with the cabin adjuster at the lowest? thanks john.

It's only your left hand light that is affected. Remove the rubber bung and look in. You'll see a white plastic tab (the end of the Tourist Mode lever). You may have to poke around for it. All it does is operate a beam cutoff shutter.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have a midnight ferry booked so will be driving at night, I thought it would be quieter and cheaper (Yorkshire tight) at that time and I would get a few miles under my belt before breakfast.
If you are going to be mainly on motorways you should be fine.

It's only your left hand light that is affected. Remove the rubber bung and look in. You'll see a white plastic tab (the end of the Tourist Mode lever). You may have to poke around for it. All it does is operate a beam cutoff shutter.
if it's anything like mine, it is virtually impossible for any normal human to get their hand into the back of the headlight to adjust it - which is why I have never bothered.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
eBay ...search headlight deflectors . They cost a couple of quid , at least put them in the glovebox in case you need to drive at night (unplanned ) , they are there if you need them .

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Just do it properly & find the shutter in the headlamp. Its something that can be done before hand ie drive in the UK with a flat beam ..... I've left mine sometimes for ages .... even been for MOT with a symmetrical beam.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
eBay ...search headlight deflectors . They cost a couple of quid , at least put them in the glovebox in case you need to drive and night (unplanned ) , they are there if you need them .

I'm not sure beam reflectors will even work on a modern head lamp with or without HIDs

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Beam reflectors will work but you need to shine the headlights against a wall and figure out where they go by trial and error if there are no markings to refer to. Much easier to find the shutter and either flick it with your finger or if too difficult to reach use something like a screwdriver

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I found the levers, If anyone needs a description they look like male electrical spade connectors but a bit bigger. They slide sideways to operate the shutters. I found them inside the light housing just below the bulb holder. I moved them both using a bit of plastic about 100mm long and around 20mm wide. This bit of scrap plastic didnt slip as the steel shutter lever dug into it as I moved it across. John

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
Thanks everybody, I found the levers, If anyone needs a description they look like male electrical spade connectors but a bit bigger. They slide sideways to operate the shutters. I found them inside the light housing just below the bulb holder. I moved them both using a bit of plastic about 100mm long and around 20mm wide. This bit of scrap plastic didnt slip as the steel shutter lever dug into it as I moved it across. John

Is that in a pre facelift with standard halogen as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
A class and CLK chaned lights.SL not yet got around to lever looking and bugger all room either another off work job anyone know where oil press switch is on V12 ? will be looking for that in a few weeks dont have benz star toughbook with me either

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A class and CLK chaned lights.SL not yet got around to lever looking and bugger all room either another off work job anyone know where oil press switch is on V12 ? will be looking for that in a few weeks dont have benz star toughbook with me either
Oil pressure sender is at the base of the oil filter. The oil level sensor is near the oil pump.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Oil pressure sender is at the base of the oil filter. The oil level sensor is near the oil pump.
lk yr a STAR. save me a bit of thrashing around .

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom