W210 duo valve quick bodge fix

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Hi all,

My duo valve has failed, it only blows hot. The umbrella things have broken and one is lost. I believe that the source of the problem though don't know for sure.

I am taking the car abroad in a couple of days (yes I know it was silly to leave it until
until now but I've been too busy!)

I can leave a proper fix until I am home but for now is there a bodge or fix I can do to make it blow cold. The AC is definitely charged.

I have read somewhere that you can clamp the hot coolant inlet pipe, is this possible? That would be ideal.

20170605_120720.jpg

Which pipe/pipes is it?

chardF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 1994 320 R129
Rather than clamp the hose @ the duo valve, I'd clamp the one coming from the head. (probably more space)

Other bodges, whip the top off the duo valve and wedge the plungers down with something.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Best bodge - hit the top with a smaller hammer, see if it frees it up inside.

If you posted this last week, you could have had my old one before it went to the tip!

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Best bodge - hit the top with a smaller hammer, see if it frees it up inside.

If you posted this last week, you could have had my old one before it went to the tip!

A smaller hammer than what?

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
I ended up just making some new plungers on the lathe since it would take me just as long to bodge it.

I made them out of brass, it has worked perfectly. Nice hot and cold all working fine.

Here's the measurements for anyone who wants to DIY also. The thin shaft bit doesn't have to be 15mm exactly I just made it that. Most important part is that the end part is atleast 2mm deep before it angles down 45 degrees. Hope this helps someone!

20170607_175604.jpg

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom