W210 - ESP sometimes engages on curves

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hello,

I am having a problem recently with my E320 CDI W210 Estate... occasionally, the ESP will engage (I think on rear left) for a brief moment (up to 1 second) when I am making a sharp-ish turn to the right. Very sometimes, also on a straight road.

Now - I have read a few theories:

1) Wheel alignment needs to be set
2) Tires are unevenly worn
3) Sensors (ABS) are faulty
4) Check suspension for play/worn elements

(1) has been done not so long ago (about a year) and I do not recall hitting any kerb or similar... (2) both tires are same age and spec - I can check but they were fitted only in May again (long winter here) and have never caused problems...

So I suspect (3) or (4) are most likely. Admittedly, I have been having something of a (muffled/gentle) thump in the rear right wheel when going over small, gentle bumps... normally I'd fix this right away but we just bought a W220 so cash was short to service the Estate and in normal flat-road driving the thump did not happen. Has been there for about 3 months now though. Could there be a connection?

Advice greatly appreciated :) I imagine that it would be wise to put it on STAR to check for any faults..? Would sensors leave faults stored?

Last edited:

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
Did you read theory 5?

5) Heavy right foot.

:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it was a speed thing then it would do it more when turning left as the lock is at a greater angle, and tyre slip will always happen more when turning left than when turning right

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hello,

Nonono... this is absolutely not to do with speeding or going very fast.

The funny thing is that at first, my wife and I thought it was due to an oil spill or something similar, because it seemed to always happen in the same spot. But I now get it on other roads as well, and we just put it down to us driving very consistently (and thus triggering the event over and again in an identical situation)

I drive almost like a grandpa ;) No fast curves etc... we drive the car reasonably gently.

No look - I am going to take it into the Indie to get that thump fixed, and while he's at it, take a look at STAR to see if it throws up any codes and if so, fix what ever needs fixing. It can wait a couple of months, but I DO need ESP to be totally cool by the time winter comes here (Poland) as then it can be of real actual safety value :)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
My comment was tongue in cheek, just had to be said ;)

STAR is your best bet. A good indie should be able to pin it down.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
STAR is not going to pick up any fault in the rear sub frame - diff area

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
My theory is that there is a worn shocker at the o/s/r allowing the wheel to jump on a tight curve, losing contact with the road and triggering the ABS / ASR.

I have also heard that 210s are prone to sub-frame mounts collapsing, so that might also be worth investigating.

Just a thought....

Ernie

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Mechanic here says it is probably not critical or urgent. Best to indeed check the rear suspension for play or other errors. Will do this sometime next month and report back :)

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Okay well... the issue resolved itself in the most unexpected of ways. Today I went to get the winter tires fitted, coz I happened to have the W210 for the day. And voila... ESP engaging on curves is gone. Completely. Did high-speed rally-like curves, slow curves, wiggling left right left right, slowing into bends, accelerating in bends... you name it - it did not come back.

So I suspect the cause was one tire being under-inflated, and this causing the ESP computer to think something was amiss when the car was in a bend when putting all its weight on one side, squashing the tire, and causing implausible readings which then were taken as slippage of some sort :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A happy post

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom