W210 Estates, Comand etc

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I am in the process of trying to find a new 2000-2002 estate to add to a 1998 E200 which has performed in exemplary fashion for the last 4 years. Am looking at various models. My main dealer who looks after my car has recommended I get a 220 or 320 diesel. These seem to be expensive with moderate miles and very hard to track down with the essential seven seats. What are your opinions. Is the 200 Kompressor any good? What is the 210 Comand system like in this period car.

Any advice gratefully received.

CM

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I've owned my 2000 reg 320 diesel for almost 2 years now and am very pleased with it. The comment you make about the level of spec is very true, all I can say is get the best spec you can.

As regards the seven seats a firm called seven seat conversions will fit the extra seats at reasonable cost (to original spec materials), so if yoiu see the right car give retro fitting some consideration.

Can't comment on COMAND, I don't have a requirement for it and if I did I think I'd go for portable SAT-NAV unit and separate phone kit.

Hope this helps, if you need more specific advice just ask.

http://www.7seats.com/mercedes.html

ps. I have used 7 seat conversions on a 124 estate and was very pleased with the results

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your comand must be the same as I have in my SL, I find it very good and easy to use, it has some nice features, though you cant add a camara base, makes me drive slower.

malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The 200K is working quite hard in such a large and heavy car. The 220cdi will do however I would not discount a 320cdi with lots of miles as long as it has been well looked after.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I will give the 7 seat guys a call. My current 210 is an E200 and I don't find that particularly sluggish. Full of luggage, roofbox and six passangers it still purrs along. I'm assuming that the 200k is going to be an improvement on the old 200 though.
There is nothing to split the price of the two diesels on similar mileages now but I assume the 320 was a lot more cash new and has some extra kit.

Regarding the 210 comand system; how does it connect with a mobile. I assume it wouldn't have bluetooth? Did they prewire a cradle with the comand. Also how does the general sat nav work by comparison to the current portable items and can it be easily updated?

Thanks in advance for your responses - really appreciated.

OP
C
Reaction score
By the way, what are the differences in handling between an avantegarde and an elegance. I currently have an avantegarde which seems very good, not too firm.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
CharlesMeredithIII Regarding the 210 comand system; how does it connect with a mobile. I assume it wouldn't have bluetooth? Did they prewire a cradle with the comand. Also how does the general sat nav work by comparison to the current portable items and can it be easily updated? Thanks in advance for your responses - really appreciated.[/QUOTE said:
It would pay you to get a car with the pre wirng and phone in the car, otherwise £1k to install. The destination entries into the command after faster than with the Navman, the instructions of where to go are very good. They are updated via a disc (cd) As I said earlier you cant add a camara data base. I may add a separate camara warning device to my car. In genral I would have said that Command is in keeping with MB, nice quality.

Malcolm

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
CharlesMeredithIII said:
Thanks for responses. I will give the 7 seat guys a call. My current 210 is an E200 and I don't find that particularly sluggish. Full of luggage, roofbox and six passangers it still purrs along. I'm assuming that the 200k is going to be an improvement on the old 200 though.
There is nothing to split the price of the two diesels on similar mileages now but I assume the 320 was a lot more cash new and has some extra kit.

Regarding the 210 comand system; how does it connect with a mobile. I assume it wouldn't have bluetooth? Did they prewire a cradle with the comand. Also how does the general sat nav work by comparison to the current portable items and can it be easily updated?

Thanks in advance for your responses - really appreciated.

All above is true, however ..
Firstly the command in a 210 will be the old command 2 system. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-BENZ...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.
There is nothing fundametally wrong with it, but it won't be the all singing and dancing dvd based system they have now http://www.mercedescomand.com/?gclid=CM3Ipuf9oogCFQ5-MAod93RFQw
. I've never used it so can't comment on how good it is but chances are it will have an old database so you will need to factor in the cost of a new cd.

Given that a tomtom can be had for a similar cost to the update cd and can then be added to with extra PIO and camera databases, its more a question of what price vanity.
A further option would be to get one with an audio 10 swap it with a good dvd based stereo/sat nav with built in bluetooth phone capability and MP3 etc from the likes of Pioneer, JVC etc.

As regards a pre-wire phone. I'd suggest you don't bother at this age. If fitted, it will be the predecessor to the UHI system. This means that the cradle is fixed and can't be updated for less than silly money. So, you will have to use a Nokia 6210 I suspect as nothing else will work (most cradles were for this model though others were available). Bluetooth systems from the likes of Parrot and Nokia can be fitted for a couple of hundred and offer a lot more flexibility.

So, basically, on these items, a tomtom and after market kit will run rings round the standard stuff. I'm not saying avoid them, but I wouldn't pay a premium either.

On the engines, the 200k will be livelier than your 200 for sure. The 220 and 320 diesels are far better, especially in the heavier estate, but the anticipated mileage has to justify the extra cost or there is little point.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the info jberks. It would seem that the comand system in that car is not worth losing sleep over and with the way phones and connectivity are changing probably more trouble than it's worth. Can you not view DVD's with that system either?

What has struck me is the way that the 211 estate prices are now dropping to below the prices of low mieage 210's. There are a lot of dealers out there asking close to £20k for a low mileage 210 and a lot of moderate mileage 211's for the same money.

Is this because the 210 is thought to be a better car?

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
CharlesMeredithIII said:
Thanks for the info jberks. It would seem that the comand system in that car is not worth losing sleep over and with the way phones and connectivity are changing probably more trouble than it's worth. Can you not view DVD's with that system either?

What has struck me is the way that the 211 estate prices are now dropping to below the prices of low mieage 210's. There are a lot of dealers out there asking close to £20k for a low mileage 210 and a lot of moderate mileage 211's for the same money.

Is this because the 210 is thought to be a better car?

Regardless of what dealers are saying/asking dont give anywhere near £20K for a 210 estate, no matter how low mileage it is.

Just my opinion.

Speedmaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 55 AMG
The Command will be the same as I have in my 2000 CLK430 Cabriolet and it is not very exciting at all. Quite basic compared with modern systems. If one has it fine but would not hunt for a car with it or lose out on a nice car simply as it is missing command

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom