w210 fan loose

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Tried searching about and cant get the info i want.

Im not sure what this fan is actually called, its the fan between the engine and the radiator that spins off the pulley system.

Somehow, im not sure how the fan has been damaged, two of the blades have corners broken off. i actually believe this might be unrelated and may have happened at another time but i didn't pay attention. the square cover that sits over it was also cracked/snapped and ive removed it for now.

Anyway, whatever console the fan is attatched too in the pulley system is loose. When i wobble the fan with my fingers the whole unit that the belt is sitting on moves. It has dropped low and the fan is hitting various things lower down the engine, it only moves by a few millimetres up and down. Its only ever so slightly hitting them, makes a intermittent very small tapping noise. like holding a pen against a desk fan and it gets obviously much worse when driving/accelerating.

Ive tried tightening the 8mm allen bolt of the fan but i don't think it had much effect, if i let the fan come round with the allen key the whole unit rotates.

I guess what im asking is, is it a bearing that is attached too which has gone or is it something else that is just loose and can be tightened. how can i reach it, will i have to take off the radiotor.

Here is a video of it:
https://vid.me/VCxk

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The bearings in your water pump have failed. Just need to replace water pump.

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
pretty simple and quick job on the m112 engine. i did mine in less than an hr in the summer

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Is it possible to run the car without the fan until I can replace the pump?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Is it possible to run the car without the fan until I can replace the pump?

In this weather yes, just watch the engine temp when sitting in traffic. The main problem is the the pump could fail at anytime, either throwing the belt or dumping all the water. Not worth the risk.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Do you mean the viscous fan ?

Attachments

• viscous.jpg
    viscous.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
yes i mean that, i have a pretty severe water leak at the moment and this news of a faulty water pump suggests its related.

How do i remove the viscous fan?

Also whats the process of removing the radiator, everything is very very tightly packed in the fan area, barely enough to get a hand in and if i could remove the radiator temporarily life would be much easire.

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
I need to replace this water pump for sure. i took the fan off and can now see how screwed the bearings are its all over the place.

Can anyone help with a part number for the water pump. w210 2001 e320.

Alternatively could i just replace the bearings or something?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
im pretty sure theyre a sealed unit. you will probably be able to source one at ECP or similar parts factors. MB will probably be able to get them but unlikely to be a stock item.

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
vin is wdb2102262b356907

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
mercedes had one today but was 150 quid, euro car parts doesnt seem to have one

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Since replacing the water pump (which fixed the problem). A noise has developed... a bad one. Theres awful screeching sound coming from something in the pulley system. Sounds like an awfully dry bearing, metal on metal sound. it started small but has not built up and it really loud.

All the pulleys are smooth turning and i did them tight, arnt showing any play. could it be this new aftermarket waterpump?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom