W210 instrument cluster recuuring failure.

woodlander

Reaction score
My instrument cluster fails after about an average of an hours running to no functions at all. No fuel guage,No spedo or rev counter no mileage trip or anything else on that small LED panel in the centre.
The following morning it is OK again until it has been run for a while. the delay varies from 10 mins to 3 hours before it packs up and the local dealership has no idea.
I cannot afford an open ended diagnostic at £100 an hour on a 1996 E280Avantgarde or fit a new one and see if it works.
Any ideas please??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This should be a poor connection where the cluster plugs in,or within the cluster, you could push it out from the rear to check, have you tried giving the top a bang with you hand when it fails

OP
W

woodlander

Reaction score
Yes - Tried the thump treatment and taken the unit out and cleaned the contacts. Still does it.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Sounds like a fault on the board - possibly open circuit due to temp.
It may be wise to get a replacement as problems like this can drive you mad. They come up on ebay from time to time and you could ask Mercman or Dronsfields. It will need coding by the dealer though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As JB I found nothing in the service files, a bit of a problem to know where the fault is.

hmang

Reaction score
Sounds like a fault on the board - possibly open circuit due to temp.
It may be wise to get a replacement as problems like this can drive you mad. They come up on ebay from time to time and you could ask Mercman or Dronsfields. It will need coding by the dealer though.[/QUOTE]

coding by the dealer ?
what's that about ?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Never been entirely sure but I guess the software on the dash has to tie up with the software on the ECU, plus the dash tends to have a lot more info on the car that you'd imagine. Plus, it needs to know what options are on the car for the display - what stereo is installed, what data bus it's talking to - that kind of thing.
Thats the joy of electronic dashes - no more plugging in the speedo cable and driving away!

OP
W

woodlander

Reaction score
Seems to link up with the diagnostics laptop after fitting and allows the sparks to correct the mileage forward if you fit a new spare. According to the one I talked to it will only adjust forward on the standard kit. Those advertising resetting for used spares (aka clocking) must be using their own versions.
I tried a used spare from Dronsfields but it wouldnt talk to my car. A niusance but no problem refunding - just lost the transport cost and the sparks time - which was enough really . It would have been better to have got the right one first time but they assured me it was the right number.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems to link up with the diagnostics laptop after fitting and allows the sparks to correct the mileage forward if you fit a new spare. According to the one I talked to it will only adjust forward on the standard kit. Those advertising resetting for used spares (aka clocking) must be using their own versions.
I tried a used spare from Dronsfields but it wouldnt talk to my car. A niusance but no problem refunding - just lost the transport cost and the sparks time - which was enough really . It would have been better to have got the right one first time but they assured me it was the right number.

I understand that when you are clocking cars, the process takes almost 1 hour, so I suspect that this drives it at speed all the way around and starts again

OP
W

woodlander

Reaction score
Hi There,
Tried secondhand unit -seems to be OK and to have cured the problem. I've been ill so it got delayed.
I'm told the fault indicates a dry solder joint that goes opencircuit with heating caused by extended operation.
IF that's so an enterprising guy with a soldering iron could cure the thing.
If ithe old one is any use to anyone - KNOWING IT'S HISTORY then make me a nominal offer. I gather they are only available exchange from Merc at about £535 + Vat.
Many thanks for the advice.

woodturner-fran

Reaction score
Given all thats gone above, I have a problem with mine (W210 -035). The lights flicker on and off all across the dash. I've had it out and apart and I reckon its down to a relay mounted on the PCB in the clock. Any confirm that the relay on the back of the PCB does indeed switch on the dash lighting?

Also theres one for small money at the moment at my local scrapyard, but theres one button different: On the LHS, under the H and M buttons for time, theres another one marked "s" I believe. In mine there is just a blanking plate here. Do you think its worth going over there and trying swapping out the clocks? I'm not too worried about the coding as I have access to one of those diagnostic systems.

Any takers?

Fran

Cosworth

Reaction score
If anyone needs a speedo complete from a E280 1999 W210, pre face lift.
with only 50K on the clock, I have one, will take any sensible offer.

mercman247

Reaction score
contact for repairers

we use a company call cluster repairs uk. a guy called ethan runs it and all they the do is digital instrument clusters repairs. they are based in london and 10 miles from norwich, top bloke, very honbest been using him for 5 years and never a prob,

give hime a call on 07934345959 im sure he can sort out the problem for pennies compared to mer dealer prices.

may the force be with you.

merman247.

EntireIT

Reaction score
Instrument Cluster Nightmare!!!

First of all guys thanks to all who provide support here, your postings have helped me many times.

OK I have a 1995 E200 2.0 Classic which has been really reliable and hadn't really cost much until the mass air flow sensor last year failed, everything else I've managed to solve thanks to you guys but this one has stumped me and I can't find a thread thats relevant.

New Years Eve I noticed a bulb warning indicator appear on the dashboard. I've had trouble in the past with melting bulb holder surrounds etc (resolved through reading Mercedesclub forum). A quick check showed it to be a rear brake light. I removed the bulb holder and checked bulb but it and no fault. Fixed the bulb back into place and the bulb error light had gone. Around an hour later I went back to the car and when I started it I had no Petrol, temperature, Rev or Speedo guages working. The clock was wrong but iluminated as was outside temperature reading again though wrong. When I removed the keys I could see that the rev counter needle was still vibrating on the zero and I could hear a whiring noise from the console which lasts around 10 seconds after the engine is stopped or if I turn the key to pre ignition and then off again it will occur.

Its a little urgent as I live in speed camera central and I'm guessing what 30Mph should be. Thanks in advance

John

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom