W210 Rust

Merc pilot

Reaction score
I bought my 1st MB a few weeks ago, a 1999 200E Estate with 93K on clock, with some rust in the usual places, ie drivers side wheel arch, and tailgate.

I wasn't massively optimistic, but took it in anyway to MB this morning for its appointment with the bodyshop. Their good people have just phoned me back to advise they will do the work. I'm a happy man!

On another matter, this may be a dumb question, but, can the badge on the front be damaged in a car wash? is it best to fold it down as far as it'll go?:D

bishopcw

Reaction score
Well I have had a 2003 E-Class and previously a 98 C-Class currently moved into a S-Class 430 and as long as you fold it down its never damaged the badge or the bonnet on any of those models.

but its always a risk! dependant on the car wash itself.

alexspurs61

Reaction score
Merc pilot said:
I bought my 1st MB a few weeks ago, a 1999 200E Estate with 93K on clock, with some rust in the usual places, ie drivers side wheel arch, and tailgate.

I wasn't massively optimistic, but took it in anyway to MB this morning for its appointment with the bodyshop. Their good people have just phoned me back to advise they will do the work. I'm a happy man!

Hi - do you have full MBSH on it or is some of it non MB?

OP
M

Merc pilot

Reaction score
It's had full MBSH up to 64K and it's been non MB since.

rugger2007

Reaction score
Under warranty?

Merc pilot said:

On another matter, this may be a dumb question, but, can the badge on the front be damaged in a car wash? is it best to fold it down as far as it'll go?:D

Was the rust fixed under warranty. Only ask because my 1999 E300 TD Estate has rust on underside of the handle of the boot. Car has full MB history except for the last service done earlier this year.

I don't use a car wash cos it just as cheap to drive to a hand wash place that charge a tenner to wash and clean the inside of the car

Up or down there is a small risk of it being yanked out.

Thanks

OP
M

Merc pilot

Reaction score
Yes, they're doing the repairs under warranty.

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
What?

What's this? MB do rusty bodywork for free on a 6 year old car ?

OP
M

Merc pilot

Reaction score
Provided the car has sufficient MB service history, MB are known to provide a 'goodwill' warranty on body rust, subject to an initial inspection, and provided they are happy that the car has not had treatment from a non MB bodyshop, they will repair free of charge. The only bits they declined to repair were those caused by stone chips.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
upto 30 years old if the car has a decent service history. Seems to be a little patchy though, some dealers are better than others at honouring the warantee.
That came in in 99, prior to that 8 yrs (I think)

big x

Reaction score
Mobilolife came out in oct 98. If you have FMBSH insist the work is done.
Any other circumstances and it's a crap shoot whether they help or not.

adam

khanie

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
That came in in 98, prior to that 8 yrs (I think)

Yep. If your car is pre-98 then its 8 years anti-corrosion warranty. They also like you to have owned the car for about 6 months before they will generally do the repairs.

The 30 years on pre-98 is for "serious internal structural rust only".

Which dealership was this Merc pilot? Stratford-Upon-Avon MB flatly refused to fix any rust whatsoever as it was 6 months past its 8 years anti-corrosion warranty.

OP
M

Merc pilot

Reaction score
Khanie, it's Carr & Earl, Hunters Road, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Glenn Smith

Reaction score
Merc pilot said:

Hand wash only!! i think it says on the label.

OP
M

Merc pilot

Reaction score
Thanks Glenn - does the badge unscrew off?

Glenn Smith

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
That came in in 99, prior to that 8 yrs (I think)

Fairly sure it was 1998, mine has just had a fair bit of work done, 3rd time it,s been in, last mb service was 3.5yrs ago, since i've done it myself except one independant from dealer i bought it from, well done DCUK, at this rate i may buy another (2003 onwards are galvanized, so i'm told), but really, how did MB get it so wrong in the first place???

PS, try writing to DCUK before submitting a car for examination, and insist that the dealer pass the claim to DCUK, they are the ones who say yey or ney as far as warranty goes.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Merc pilot said:
Thanks Glenn - does the badge unscrew off?
If you're talking about the chrome star emblem, its actually very resilient. I've never heard of a car wash damaging them, though car washes aren't too good for your paintwork.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom