W210 transmission issues.

10mpg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E430 W210 facelift wagon
I have an big low black E430 wagon with 'isssues' here she is as I collected her looking rather sad (and far to low)..

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/caddilac21/FB_IMG_1481663576031_zpsgbyiom7v.jpg

It's a very high spec car, with voice activation, full electric air seats heated and cooled, sat nav, HID's, front rear and side parking sensors, literally everything you could have was ticked, bought new by the MD of JCB i'm told..

I bought it as a project but i'm now at the 'pulling my hair out' stage as it keeps resisting my attempts to fix it.

I bought it stuck in what i think is second gear, suspecting the usual conductor plate/wiring issues. it has P N and D no gear changing and no +/-.

There is NO speedometer reading when driven..

I replaced the conductor plate and the wiring connectors, no joy.

The only fault my scanner (Snap On with Mercedes module) comes up with is p2310 Can Communication Traction system faulty, my scanner says the trans is NOT in limp mode, I have checked the oil with a proper disptick at the proper temperatures, as my scanner gives me a full live data analysis of the trans. As soon as I clear the code it reappears.

I replaced the ESP ecu with one with the same part number.

The gearbox control ECU was full of oil from the failed so this was cleaned out (possible suspect?) though oil being non conducting should not damage electronics?

The car had a seized and badly leaking rear calliper that I removed so I could move the car easily so currently it's only braking on two wheels, I didn't want to go to the hassle of dropping the rear subframe to get at the pipes if I couldn't solve the trans issue, could this be a factor?

Are the trans ECU's model specific? is it work changing for a second hand unit? It's hard work finding other 430's to get parts from, would a 320/V6 one suffice?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to save this car and keep it on the road, i could probably make more by breaking it, but i really hope It doesnt come to that.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Pull the internal covers off the gear selector inside the car including w&s switch empty a lot of contact cleaner spray into every hole whilst moving the selector back and forth leave for an hour or so.

DavidR

Reaction score
My experience and knowledge of these systems is limited, but I would say the lack of a speed reading while driving is at least linked to your problems. If the gearbox ECU does not know the speed of the vehicle, it may not be able to change gear.

Is the speed reading on this car generated from the ABS sensors?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that the speed signal needs finding, even the brake lamp switch could cause this and £10 to try.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As your thoughts the oil in the ECU does nothing.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I changed my esp ecu a short while ago with one having the same part number. My original was with BBA Reman being rebuilt, and I wanted to continue using the car - S204 model, 5g box.

It worked, but threw up a fault code telling me it was not matched to the vehicle.
No idea if yours is the same, but I mention this just as a 'possible'.

Umble

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As your thoughts the oil in the ECU does nothing.

Whilst I agree when the oil is clean it will cause no issues dirty oil with carbon or metallic particles can be conductive and cause issues. TD5 Land Rovers are well known for getting oil in the loom which goes into the ECU and causes poor running even after the oil in the loom is cleared out or loom replaced.

Last edited:
OP

10mpg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E430 W210 facelift wagon
Yes I had a TD5 with exactly that problem!

I shall definitely track down the cause of the speedo failure as i'm sure that's linked, I can't seem to get my scanner to read the engine codes, which i suspect is where the brake information will be, odd as it reads the gearbox and other systems fine..

S500al

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 A160,W210 E430 estate and a king of kings.... W215 CL600 BI TURBO
I have a 2001 E430 breaking for spares at the moment that still has its engine and gearbox and running gear on if you need anything PM me..... al

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whilst I agree when the oil is clean it will cause no issues dirty oil with carbon or metallic particles can be conductive and cause issues. TD5 Land Rovers are well known for getting oil in the loom which goes into the ECU and causes poor running even after the oil in the loom is cleared out or loom replaced.

An interesting one as never known any fault as they can be washed out with spirit and as good as new when cleaned. I do not think that those things even have a clock

S500al

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OH I forgot to add in my earlier post that the E 430 I am breaking is a Black estate... still has Engine, ancillaries, transmission, brakes, suspension, wheels and most ECU's available. Body is generally shot but running wise she was perfect.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Check the crank capacity of the battery, anything less than 9.6v will not power the gearbox ECU. Hence the CAN communication problem and limp mode (stuck in second). 9v will still spin the engine to start, but its not enough to power all the electronics it needs from Ignition pos 2.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
What's that funny little car in what looks like a space frame?

OP

10mpg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E430 W210 facelift wagon
OH I forgot to add in my earlier post that the E 430 I am breaking is a Black estate... still has Engine, ancillaries, transmission, brakes, suspension, wheels and most ECU's available. Body is generally shot but running wise she was perfect.

Hi yes i would like prices on a transmission ecu is the numbers are right, I've been told a possible cause might be the abs control unit on the side of the pump?

I also need a rear calliper if in good condition..

I cant seem to PM you maybe i need more posts first?

OP

10mpg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E430 W210 facelift wagon
Check the crank capacity of the battery, anything less than 9.6v will not power the gearbox ECU. Hence the CAN communication problem and limp mode (stuck in second). 9v will still spin the engine to start, but its not enough to power all the electronics it needs from Ignition pos 2.

Hi yes i have checked and it's 11.9v whilst cranking, should be sufficient?

S500al

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi yes i would like prices on a transmission ecu is the numbers are right, I've been told a possible cause might be the abs control unit on the side of the pump?

I also need a rear calliper if in good condition..

I cant seem to PM you maybe i need more posts first?

You are only right, I cant PM you my contact details either...... ADMIN?? any idea's ?

ssrli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep GC 2002 2.7CRD
The 722.6 transmission needs the speed signal from the abs unit in order to work. On my car model I've seen two cases of transmission in limp mode after reinstall, because the mechanic forgot to connect the CAN line plug.

OP

10mpg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E430 W210 facelift wagon
The 722.6 transmission needs the speed signal from the abs unit in order to work. On my car model I've seen two cases of transmission in limp mode after reinstall, because the mechanic forgot to connect the CAN line plug.

Which line is this and where can i find it..?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom